JU Volleyball Falls to Rival UNF

By: Daniel Holmes

The Jacksonville University Volleyball team played host to cross-town rival North Florida Friday in a 3-1 loss. The Dolphins (3-14, 1-3) kept each set close but only managed to grab one victory, being outscored 25-22, 26-24 and 25-20 in their three losses.

The Ospreys (9-7, 1-3) were lead by Carolyn Jenkins and Paige Pridgeon who each had 13 kills. Not only did the Ospreys get the victory but they got an early point in the Sun Trust River City Rumble.

JU managed to lead in the first two sets but just could not hold on for victories.

“We didn’t finish tonight,” JU head coach Michelle Collier said. “I thought we played well at times but had a hard time closing out sets. Overall, we enjoyed being at home in front of our crowd and look forward to another tough conference match Tuesday.”

By: Daniel Holmes

The Dolphins were paced by Sammie Strausbaugh, Gabriela Roman and Kendall Courtney. Strausbaugh had 13 kills while Roman added 10 more. Roman and Courtney also had 15 digs each.

JU watched a 20-17 lead disappear with the help of three straight errors in the first set. In the second set, four consecutive UNF errors helped JU build a 22-17 lead but sloppy play yet again led to a UNF set win.

The Dolphins have a busy week ahead of them, hosting three matches at the Swisher Gymnasium. They will look to build some momentum behind the home crowd and try and turn their season around.