Men's and Women's Soccer

Men's and Women's Soccer

After a long and arduous stretch of the season, the Jacksonville University men’s soccer team sealed their first win in dominating fashion this past Saturday.

The Dolphins entertained Georgia Southern at home and crushed the Eagles 5-0. The offense shook off the past few games and played very aggressively in the first half scoring two goals. Matheus Saroli showed some fancy footwork passing to a defender, running him out and scoring the first goal of the night. Nick Rodriguez wrapped up the first half by scoring a goal off another of the Eagle’s defenders.

Sophomore Henrik Synnes, Freshman Elliott Roshior and aforementioned Matheus Saroli all scored goals in the second half as JU shut out Georgia Southern. The men’s team is slated to travel to Hofstra and then make their way to Belmont on Saturday.

Women’s soccer opened their conference play this past Friday with a 2-1 win over Northern Kentucky.

The Women’s soccer team is looking to keep their title of Atlantic Sun champs and is off to a swift start after their victory. Freshman Marie Weckhurt put the Dolphins on the board first after an assist by Freshman forward Sarah Moghadas. After a penality kick that brought Northern Kentucky tied with the dolphins, Emily Culbreth scored a game sealing goal, assisted by Weckhurst.

The Lady Dolphins then played Lipscomb on Sunday, winning 2-1 in extra time. The Weckhurst sisters started the game with a combined goal and Kaitlyn Bassett was able to head a ball into the net for the game-winning goal.

The women’s soccer team stays undefeated in conference play as they go into a River City Rumble match this Friday at University of North Florida.