Traffic Problems at the Main Gate Call for Creative Solutions

The director of Campus Security, Gordon Bass, speaks on Campus Security’s behalf as he explains both the reasoning behind the traffic at the front gate, as well the solutions currently being considered on Sep. 18, 2012.

“I’ve gone and I’ve timed the cycles of the traffic signals,” Bass said.

He went on to explain that each traffic light in front of JU’s main entrance switches from red to green after an interval of approximately 15 seconds. This time frame allows only three or four vehicles to pass through, which adds to the dreaded wait commuters encounter before entering campus.

“I’ve got in touch with the city of Jacksonville and I’ve requested that they reset the cycles for longer to allow to traffic to flow for a longer period of time. They’ll notify me once that’s done,” said Bass.

Bass acknowledged his awareness of the slow traffic and that the campus security officers are part of the reason behind it as they have to check each car’s decal. However, he’s assured a solution will be reached within the next couple weeks.

“We’re slowing traffic down but we’re working to alleviate that problem. I wouldn’t build another traffic booth. If anything the most elaborate thing will be an electric arm so that all [the campus security officers] have to do is operate with a remote control,” said Bass.

Though an electric arm seems to be the solution JU needs, no final decision has been made.

“Another measure we’ve put in place is that I’m looking at creating two lanes of traffic like it used to be at [the University of North Florida], one lane for students with decals and another lane for visitors,” said Bass.

“The big picture is the safety and security of the campus and everyone on the campus,” said Bass.

Until Bass and his team reach a final decision and balance safety with efficiency, commuting students of JU can only prepare a playlist for the few minutes of waiting to enter campus.