Volleyball Salvages One Win in Active Ankle Challenge

Photo Courtesy of Daniel Holmes

The Jacksonville University Dolphin’s Volleyball team (0-7) headed to Gainesville Friday and Saturday for the Active Ankle Challenge. They opened with a match against the 15th ranked Florida Gators (4-2).

Despite a strong start, JU couldn’t keep the momentum and fell 3-0 to UF. JU hit .206 in the first set but UF hit better than .400 in the final two sets behind their home crowd.

“We faced a very strong opponent tonight,” JU Head Coach Michelle Collier said. “I was proud of the way our team came out and competed in the first set. In the next two sets we let our energy level drop and lost our focus. It was good to see how well we competed at the start and we will continue to work hard to find our consistency.”

The Dolphins were led by Sammie Strausbaugh with seven kills.

JU’s next match was against Georgia Tech (7-1) Saturday morning. The Dolphins were swept in straight sets 17-25, 16-25, 16-25.

“This was another tough loss for us,” said Collier.

Again the Dolphins started out well and faded as the match continued. This is something that has plagued JU for most of the season.

JU wound up the tournament against Louisiana-Lafayette (4-6). The Dolphins switched rolls as this match went on and gained speed set by set.
The Dolphins fell behind 0-2, losing 14-25 and 22-25. JU then snuck out a 25-23 victory in the third set and took that momentum to the fourth where they won 26-24.

In the fifth and final set, JU broke out to an 11-6 lead. The Cajuns then came back to tie the set at 11, setting up for a tight finish. In the end JU worked their way to a 16-14 win and came all the way back for a 3-2 match for their first win of the season.

The Dolphins were paced by Gabriela Roman, Taylor Nyquist and Nicole Teplitz. Roman recorded 20 kills and 10 digs during the match. Nyquist had eight kills and 11 digs and Teplitz lead the team with 15 digs.

JU’s next challenge comes at the hands of Savannah State and South Alabama Friday in the Spring Hill Suites Invitational in Statesboro, Ga.