Softball EW LT BJ

After earning a split with the University of South Carolina Upstate Spartans (32-8, 5-3), the Jacksonville University Softball team took on the Bucs of Eastern Tennessee State University.

The Dolphins (26-19, 7-5) got their first conference double-header sweep, defeating ETSU 9-1 and 5-1. The Bucs (10-27, 0-10) struggled to muster any offense in either game, falling easily to the Dolphins.

JU run-ruled the Bucs in game one thanks to two huge home runs by Sarah Simon and Karson Tuck.

“We’ve been looking for a break through on offense, and it started last night as we carried it over to today,” said Head Coach Ali Higgs.  “We were patient at the plate and had some really good at bats.  Our pitchers did a good job of limiting their offense and not letting them get big momentum building innings.”

Along with a good offensive showing, pitching was a huge dynamic in their sweep. Sarah Sigrest and Brittany Eppley combined to hold ETSU to one run on five hits. Sigrest got the win in three innings of work and Eppley struck out three over the final two innings.

The Dolphins jumped on the board quickly in both games only to see ETSU strike back and tie the game shortly after. From that point on in both games, the Dolphins did not let the Bucs into the games. They continued to score at will and control the game in commanding fashion.

The Dolphins are looking to put together a good stretch run leading up to the Atlantic Sun Conference tournament in Spartanburg, S.C. JU goes to the University of North Florida on Friday. After that JU hosts Georgia Southern University and concludes their regular season in DeLand, Fla. against Stetson University.