Men’s Rowing at FIRA’s Steams Ahead

Photo by Lorna Kelso

The Jacksonville University Men’s Rowing Team competed in the State Collegiate Rowing Championships this past weekend. The regatta was hosted by the Florida Intercollegiate Rowing Association (FIRA) at Benderson Park in Sarasota, Fla. The crew team won FIRA’s for the sixth consecutive year. The Dolphins took home the FIRA’s Men’s Point Trophy with a total of 105 points but missed the FIRA’s Overall Points Trophy by 5 points to Nova Southeastern University.

The Dolphins won all of the Varsity 8’s races and won one out of two of the Varsity 4’s races. All races took place on a 2,000-meter course.

The Varsity 8 raced the “Micasa” with Andrew Soloway as coxswain. The V 8 took first after beating Rollins College by 4.7 seconds, and Georgia took third. The lineup stern to bow was Matt Outlaw, Scott DelVecchio, Andy Davis, Greg VanOekel, Bernard Vingilis, Jeremy Sobiech, Brian Cosmillo and Chase Rowe.

The Junior Varsity 8 raced the “Big Bob” with Tom Richards as coxswain. The JV 8 also took first after beating University of Florida by 26.8 seconds. Georgia Tech University took third.

The Freshman 8 finished first and ahead of Rollins by 3.2 seconds. They also finished ahead of Georgia Tech, UF, Florida State University and Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University.

The Varsity 4 beat seven schools to come in first. The V 4 finished ahead of GA Tech, UF, Rollins, University of Tampa, Stetson University, FSU and ERAU.

The Freshman 4 was less fortunate than the V 4. The Freshman 4 hit something under water and broke the skeg, which led to the loss of control of the boat. They did not finish the race but had potential before the unforeseen circumstance arose.

The men’s crew team will compete at the Southern Intercollegiate Rowing Association (SIRA) Regatta this weekend, in Oak Ridge, Tenn.