Softball Splits a Double Header

Photo by Brett Durda

The Jacksonville University Softball team played a double header against Florida International University on March 14. The team won the first game 7 – 0, but was defeated by FIU in the second game ending with a score of 2 – 6.

Pitcher Sarah Sigrest, shutout FIU in the first game and only allowed six hits. Sigrest now has a school record of 41 consecutive scoreless innings.

Catcher Sarah Simon, recorded 5 RBI’s. Simon’s five RBI’s brought the team to a total of 22 RBI’s.

The end of the first inning is when JU got things started. Kayla Ouellet hit the first pitch and then stole the 2nd base; on third pitch she took 3rd base. Amanda Schmidt of the Dolphins hit a ball to the outfield allowing Ouellet to take it home.

The Dolphins had the lead 1 – 0 until the 4th inning. Ouellet made the second run of the game. When Simon stepped up to the plate with bases loaded, she hit a grand slam. This was the second time this season that the Dolphins have hit a grand slam; Schmidt hit the first grand slam earlier in the season.

In the 6th inning JU made another run, which gave them a final score of 7 – 0.

In the second game the Dolphins lost the momentum and were defeated by FIU with a score of 6 – 2.

It was not until the 5th inning that the Dolphins made their first hit, but didn’t reach home. Meagan Balding allowed the ball to get past her leaving a runner able to score on second base and another to move to third base. By the time the inning was over FIU made three runs off of four hits. Freshman Ronnie Gajownik made the first hit of the game for the Dolphins. Mellisa Morales of the Dolphins reached 1st base due to an error on FIU. The Dolphins then had runners on first and 2nd base but only made one run.

The 7th inning began with FIU making three more runs. JU fell to FIU with a final score of 6 – 2.

The ladies (17-14) will be back on the field Friday, March 30, and Saturday, March 31, as they host Belmont University and Lipscomb University.