Softball Team Knocks Off Knights, then Splits a Doubleheader

George Wahl II

Photo by Brett Durda

The Jacksonville University Women’s Softball team hit the road Friday, traveling to Orlando for the University of Central Florida Tournament.
JU opened the tournament against host UCF that afternoon. The UCF Knights scored first in the 3rd inning after their lead off batter reached on an error and was advanced home soon after on a routine groundout.
The Dolphins took the lead in the 5th with a 2 run home run off the bat of catcher Sarah Simon,a junior, her third home run in 4 games.
UCF tied the game at 2 in the bottom half of the 6th. The tie was immediately broken by JU.
Senior OF Kayla Ouellet, started the 7th with a walk. Ouellet moved to 3rd on two fielders choice. She then took off for home on a wild pitch for the game winning run.
UCF did not go away quietly. They loaded the bases with 1 out in the bottom half of the 7th. The next crack of the bat was a line drive to left field that was caught by sophomore Jacey Warner who then fired the ball home to Simon in time to put the tag on the UCF base runner ending the game. Simon’s offense an defense helped propel JU to a 3-2 victory over the host Knights along with senior Sarah Sigrests stellar pitching performance.

JU was right back at it Saturday to take on Seton Hall. The Pirates jumped to a quick 1-0 lead in the 1st.
It seemed as if JU would get nothing going offensively until the Dolphins started to make a little noise in the 5th.

Sophomore Megan Balding led off the inning with a single. Karson Tuck, also a sophomore, then bunted safely. First baseman Brittany Eppley, senior, then sacrificed the runners to 2nd and 3rd. Freshman shortstop Ashley Simon singled up the middle to plate Balding and Tuck giving JU s 2-1 lead.
JU continued to rally in the 6th, loading the bases with no outs. Ashley Simon again drove in 2 runs with another single. The Dolphins scored 5 in the inning taking their lead to 7-1 on their way to a 10-2 victory.
In game 2 of Saturday’s doubleheader the Dolphins took to the field against the Eagles of Eastern Michigan University. The Eagles were able to strike for 2 runs in the first.
JU tied it up at 2 but were held scoreless for the rest of the game after that. Senior Melissa Morales plated the 2 runs on a single to left.
Eastern Michigan added 4 more runs to end with a 6-2 win over JU.
JU (6-8) gets another chance at those Eagles of Eastern Michigan when they travel to Jacksonville for a double header on Wednesday Feb. 29 starting @ 5p.m.