7 Track Team Titles

Kristine Brown

Saturday was a monumental day for Jacksonville University women’s track and field as they won their seventh consecutive Atlantic Sun Indoor Conference Title.

This win definitely cannot just be attributed to luck for the Lady Dolphins faced many challenges throughout the season including injury and several changes in team dynamics. Eight of the scorers from last year  graduated and one transferred leaving a lot of room for additions amongst the team. However, even with 6 newcomers, the lady dolphins were able to reign victorious over the rest of the field with a total of 164 points. Kennesaw State University followed with 143 points, their rivals University of North Florida took third with 136 pts., while East Tennessee State, University of South Carolina Upstate, Lipscomb University, and Belmont University followed with 107, 51, 40 and 20 points respectively.

Some of the best finishes in the sprinting events were a first place in the 60-meter with a 7.54 second time and three second place finishes in the 200-meter (24.41), long jump (18-9) and triple jump (39-8) by freshman Shanique Walker, a second place finish in the 60-meter  hurdles by senior Stacey Young, with a time of 8.54, now the current school record .

For the long distance events junior Joane Pierre ran 4 minute, 56.43 second in the mile run to win first place and junior Bienne Freeman ran 2:14.36 in the 800-meter run to also win first place.

Other meet accomplishments include Most Outstanding Freshman Performer which was awarded to freshman Courtney Walker , and the Coach of The Year, awarded to head coach Ron Grigg for his seventh consecutive year of helping the ladies attain this victory.

After a great finish to their indoor season, the teams’ new focus is producing for their outdoor season which will begin March 2 with the UNF Open at Hodges Stadium, according the JU athletics page.