A future in politics takes flight

Meet the new JUSA President; Keith Taylor, Jr.

President-elect+Keith+Taylor%2C+Jr.+shakes+hands+with+JUSA+candidates+after+the+Feb.+10+debate.++

Adam Lose

President-elect Keith Taylor, Jr. shakes hands with JUSA candidates after the Feb. 10 debate.

Jacksonville University is full of ambitious future leaders.

In pursuit of his own take on this flying ambition, Keith Taylor, Jr., a junior double major in aviation and political science, accepted one of the biggest challenges of his college life, as he was named the next president of the Jacksonville University Student Alliance (JUSA).

Taylor did not always have a love for politics. In high school, he was involved in sports teams such as football and baseball. It wasn’t until spring break of his freshman year at JU that Taylor developed a political interest.

During a meeting discussing special education programs, he experienced how politics worked first-hand. With his disfavor of how the program was being directed, the course of which things were being handled inspired him to make a change.

“I do believe in the democratic process,” Taylor said. “Instead of voting for somebody else and hoping that they make a change for the betterment of individuals, why not I be that person that people believe in?”

As his interest in politics grew gradually, so did his interest in current events. Taylor enjoys staying informed by watching the news any chance that he gets.

“I go to sleep with the news on, and wake up with it on,” Taylor said. “I’m trying to stay active on what’s going on in the world today.”

JUSA is a student organization that voices the concerns of the student body. The alliance consists of elected representatives from different areas on campus. The representatives hold their positions for a full year before they can be re-elected into office. Will Baxley was the most recent president and chose not to run for another term this year.

“I feel like this is the time that, especially now, JUSA needs a leader who is strong,” Taylor said. “One who will be willing to go the extra mile and do more for the students. Will Baxley did a great job this past year as president in doing those things and laying down the foundation for JUSA.”

Taylor graduated from Archbishop Carroll High School located in Washington D.C.

Growing up near the White House made his dream of becoming the 50th president of the United States seem near. Taylor plans to go on to graduate school to obtain a master’s degree in political science after graduating from JU.

“I’m going to get involved with government, politics, locally, nationwide, federal, that’s my goal,” Taylor said.

Taylor, who was the recent vice president of JUSA, also serves on the Black Student Union as president.

“I think that he provides a really good example for future leaders,” said Sable Lee, sophomore. “He is really present in all of the clubs and has already done a lot for the school.”

President Tim Cost’s ideas serves as a platform for what Taylor plans to do if he were to become president.

“As President Cost continues to focus more on new buildings that donors love to donate to,” Taylor said. “I believe that we should begin to focus on buildings that we have here.”