Iron Maiden Movie Review

Misha Khan

On the surface, former British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher might not seem like a good subject for a biopic. She wasn’t flamboyant; there’s no romantic back story, and she was more known for her steel will than her diplomacy. In these politically charged times, however, “The Iron Lady” is surprisingly timely with its profile of the greengrocer’s daughter who fought her way through the British political ranks to become one of the most powerful women in the Western Hemisphere.

Meryl Streep is a towering presence as former Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher in “The Iron Lady,” a time-hopping biopic that sees her reunite with “Mamma Mia!” director Phyllida Lloyd. The movie itself doesn’t live up to Streep’s magnificent turn, instead sweeping through the key moments in Thatcher’s life to assemble a surface-level portrait of one of Britain’s most divisive leaders.

The narrative roughly follows her personal history, starting with her school years and showing how she rose to become the first female Member of Parliament, then Prime Minister of Britain for 11 years, during which time she wrestled with the recession of the 1980s, the birth of the European Union, the anti-apartheid movement in South Africa, a massive miner’s strike, the Argentine fight over the Falkland Islands and rebellion of the Irish, including frequent bombings – emotionally portrayed in the film – from the Provisional Irish Republican Army.

As Thatcher, Meryl Streep is superb. From her makeup and wardrobe to her speech and the behaviors and mannerisms of a woman in her forties, fifties and older, Streep vanishes in her portrayal of the “iron lady,” and it’s a wonder to behold.

In addition to a fascinating and reasonably neutral political narrative that focused on Thatcher and the cost her family paid in her single-minded devotion to her service to Britain, “The Iron Lady” was surprisingly touching, and more than once I felt a wave of emotion sweep over me as her children fought for attention, a beloved advisor was killed in an IRA bombing, and her long-suffering husband, Denis, sat on the sidelines as he realized yet again he couldn’t compete with her passionate love of service.

Still, the best part of “The Iron Lady” is Streep’s performance. It’s truly that good. The film itself is a touching and engaging biopic, but will ultimately be of more interest to students of history and those who seek a sense of the battles she had to fight as the first woman Member of Parliament and the first female head of a Western Power. Well worth watching in this context, it’s a reminder of the power of cinema to let us peek into the life of a powerful, amazing woman.