Student Profile: Hasan Oracius

George Wahl II

Photo courtesy of Hasan Orcius

The more well rounded the individual the better apt he or she will be to become successful. Those individuals are capable of achieving anything he or she sets their mind to.

Hasan Jonathan Oracius, Jr. is one of those individuals. Oracius was born in Newwark, NJ but has current residence in Orlando, FL.

A few random facts about Oracius are that his favorite color is blue, his favorite animal has been a dolphin since his 7th grade year (many years before he came to Jacksonville University) and his favorite food is chinese.

“I took a tour and saw the campus and thought it was beautiful,” he said. “I went to the Freshman Leadership Retreat and it reeled me in.”

Oracius is a biology pre-medical major who has hopes of becoming a doctor in the future. He is also the newly elected Interfraternity Council  president. Hasan is a member of the Sigma Nu Fraternity; Beta Beta Beta, the Biology Honor Society;  a group leader the past two years for orientation and a student ambassador. He has also served as IFC vice president for the 2010-11 term before his ascension to presidency.

Oracius plans to lead the fraternities to prosperity by pushing more cohesive fraternal relations, aiming to make the fraternities look better through service projects in and around the Jacksonville area.

“Lucas Meers is actually the reason I decided to rush,” he said. “He helped me get involved with it from FLR and I had a great rush process.”

During his time with Sigma Nu, Oracius has held the positions of fundraising chair and scholarship chair. His most memorable experience while he was pledging were winning the community service award his freshman year and learning the ritual once he became a brother. As a brother he enjoys the retreats because he has the opportunity to learn more about his brothers and is able to hangout with them more. He has also enjoyed playing intramurals, his favorites are football and basketball, and he plans to push for basketball to come back to JU.

Currently he is a basic member of Tri Beta and plans to become fully active next semester and run for a position.

This year he became a student ambassador. Recently he met a potential student on a tour and they shared the same major. They were able to talk about their passions and outlooks on life.

Oracius has been involved with the IFC for many years and has also held a position on the judicial board which he says was easy because everyone followed the bylaws that year. While he was vice president he started working with other organizations on campus including other fraternities, branching out from being strictly active in his own fraternity.

He was pledge class president during his pledge process. He would like to transition that into his presidential roll in IFC. He was in charge of leading a large group of men with one common goal which is the same aspect of IFC. It is a group of men from all three fraternities coming together to make the fraternal community grow and prosper.

“I am ready to take this role and make it as good as it can be,” he said.

Besides the campus in general, Oracius’s two favorite aspects of JU are the riverfront because it has the best example of a real JU environment and Kristi Gover, the assistant dean of students and director of retention services, because she is the best.

Ever since he was young his dream has been to become a doctor because he likes to help people.

“Helping people is the right thing to do, and it’s like natural to me.”