Even MORE School?

Nora Shychuk

Photo by Grace Singer

For students interested in furthering their educations beyond the realm of traditional, four-year college, Jacksonville University’s Kinne Center opened its doors, this past Wednesday, for the Graduate and Professional School Fair.

UNF Graduate School, Rollins Graduate School, Stetson Law, DeVry University, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, Florida Coastal School of Law, and of course, Jacksonville University were some of the schools represented.

Laura Hernandez, an admissions counselor at Florida Coastal School of Law, spoke of the importance of the fair.

“It’s rewarding working with people and helping them,” she said. “Going to a graduate or law school, like Florida Coastal School of Law, can provide you with hands on training. So many people think that just because they aren’t sure what they want to do, going to another school wouldn’t work for them. Graduate and law schools alike can have small class sizes, more interaction, tutors, workshops and support.”

More education out of college can further aid students in reaching personal goals, discovering interests and also to simply become more well-rounded individuals.

Embry Riddle Aeronautical University was represented by James L. Goonan, director of International and Graduate Admissions. Goonan explained the benefits of attending a graduate program.

“Embry Riddle focuses on Aviation and 96 percent of last year’s graduates got positions in their area,” he said. “The quality of education is immeasurable and it’s cutting edge. Even though you may be paying more now to attend another school, what you get in return is excellent.”

Other than just career success, there are additional incentives to attending a graduate school, which Goonan elaborated on further.

“There is so much satisfaction. I have worked twenty-four years and it’s easy to see the good that comes from grad school. You get experience, you see results, it lifts people up and transforms their lives. You meet so many people, every religion is represented and you get to know everyone.”

Vicki Ross and Roderick Jungbauer represented JU’s Graduate School and further spoke of the advantages of graduate programs.

“It is a smoother transition for our students if they choose to stay here for grad school,” Jungbauer said. “Your transcripts are here, you know the faculty, and you know the area. There are also small class sizes, personal attention from the professors, and plus you get to deferred loans.”

“We want them to succeed not only in grades and employment, but everything,” said Ross. “That’s why we’re here to help with everything that comes with the process.”

As a general rule, it’s hard to plan ahead and make commitments but a graduate or law school could potentially be a nice fit for life after JU. Reaching the end of a bachelor’s degree is a turning point. Stepping forward in the directions of their lives, it is a time for individuals to make decisions on which paths to take, graduate school being a step greatly worth considering.