Once Again “The Thing” Released

Cha Thorpe

Picking up where the 1982 classic let off, director Matthijs van Heijningen Jr. puts a modern spin on the scientific thriller serving as a prequel to John Carpenter’s original.

The newest version of the film, released Oct. 14, does not stray from the original. American paleontologist Kate Lloyd, played by Mary Elizabeth Winstead, is requested to join a team of Norwegian scientists to research a mysterious aircraft discovered under the ice of Antarctica.

While the team attempt to dissect what they have discovered they stumble upon yet another unknown specimen that appears as though it was once living. Little does the team know, it is still alive.

Hell breaks loose from the ice when the unknown life form attacks one of the team members, taking over the cells and tissues of the human.  The creature morphs into a complete replica of any life form that it comes in contact with.

Surviving team members struggle to stay alive and protect themselves from the extraterrestrial demon while suspicions run high about each other; any one of them could be a wolf in sheep’s clothing, or in this case a monstrous alien disguised as a familiar face.

One by one the team members are engulfed and duplicated by the “Thing” that is terrorizing their small, icy cabin shelter. The only way to completely eliminate the creature is to burn anyone that it has had contact with and destroy the off brand version of the human body it has taken over.

Our heroine, Kate, is faced with the task of ruling out what’s real and what is fake, and even at the end of the film she still has to live by the creed of trusting no one in order to solidify her own protection and survival.

Overall this film is a bone-chilling thriller, filled with gore and a substantial amount of action. The special effects are believable and audiences will be surprised at the graphic images that seem to literally gush and splatter across the screen.

Though the dialogue is a bit basic and mundane, it sufficed for the plot of the film. A largely engaging element of the film is the foreshadowing provided from scene to scene; much like a mystery, it will keep audiences on the edge of their seats.

Collectively the director and cast were able to breathe new life into John Carpenter’s cult classic with an edgier approach that will rip across movie screens. After seeing this film you may find yourself looking out the corner of your eye and wondering who’s who.