Major Madness

Nora Shychuk

Photo courtesy of JU Career and Development Center

It’s not uncommon, even late in one’s academic career, to contemplate the familiar question, “What am I going to be when I grow up?” This inquiry is one society begins asking on the chalkboards of kindergarten classrooms and is reiterated thousands of times throughout life.

It appears safe to say that this decision can be a tasking selection. As a general consensus, students find one of the hardest things about college is narrowing down interests and picking a major.  Major Madness, which was showcased on Wednesday from 11:45-1:00, aimed to inform students about all the different majors offered here at Jacksonville University.

Just about every academic department was represented, with specific booths corresponding to each major. Biology, math, Spanish, French, the arts, psychology, English, communications and history were just some of the schools of study on display outside of the Davis Student Commons. Other departments that made an appearance included financial aid, study abroad and the registrar office. These displays strived to answer questions for inquiring students, provided information and offered advice for future career paths.

Sociology professor Heather Downs, Ph.D., spoke enthusiastically about Major Madness and what it offered for students.

“If you’re undecided, this is an efficient way of learning about major options. It’s also nice meeting all of the students,” she said.

The booths provided a valuable opportunity for students to debunk myths and misunderstandings surrounding each degree.

“A big fallacy about sociology is that you can’t get a job,” Downs continued. “It’s just not true. There are legal professions, social services and jobs in the corporate sector. It’s really so rewarding. I’ve met a variety of people from different backgrounds. I have friends all around the world.”

With Major Madness, the department heads and other associates involved with the event did an excellent job of outlining the benefits of different majors. That is really what an event like this is all about. It helps us keep our options open.

“Even though Film isn’t specifically showcased here, I feel more informed about other majors. You can learn about tons and hear about everything related to what you’re interested in personally,” said Logan Macon, a sophomore film major.

Whether or not a student believes they have decided what major to pursue, the advantages of attending Major Madness were ample. It is best to keep an open mind rather than confining oneself to a specific area. College is about exploring and learning all an individual can, and Major Madness is a nice compliment to that.