JU Football Inks Head Coaches Son

The Navigator

The Jacksonville University Head Football Coach, Kerwin Bell, signed his son Kade Bell, a quarterback, from Fleming Island High School.

Coach Kerwin Bell is most popular with Gator fans as he was the star quarterback there during 1984 and 1985, which were thought as the school’s most successful years in football pre-Tebow era. In the 1988 NFL Draft he was drafted by the Miami Dolphins but his tenure in the NFL consisted of him being a member of the Atlanta Falcons, Tampa Bay Buccaneers and the Indianapolis Colts.

The newly acquired, 6-foot, 170-pound, Bell began his high school career at The Bolles School where he played at the Junior Varsity level. He would then move onto Providence High School as he participated as a quarterback and a defensive back.

In his junior season he recorded over 1,600 passing yards and over 300 yards rushing. Bell had a completion percentage of 68, and tallied 15 passing touchdowns, three rushing touchdowns and seven interceptions.

After a solid junior season, he moved on to Fleming Island for his last year of high school football. Individual statistics include over 2,000 passing yards and 20 touchdowns, along with over 500 rushing yards and six touchdowns.

Kade Bell mentions what he comes to expect at his new home this coming football season.

“I’m looking forward to playing for my dad at JU, I know some people will say that if I get into a game it will be because he’s my dad,” Bell said. “But he’s already told me that I’ll have to work hard and earn my way into the lineup.”

Coach Bell is excited about the acquisition of his son to the JU roster and can be seen in the years to come.

“As a father, just watching him develop as a player, I feel he has Division I ability, but he has a Division I-AA body.” Coach Bell said. “I talked to some other coaches around the country, and while they like his ability, it’s his size that is a concern.”

He didn’t want to interfere when it came to his son looking at colleges but Kade Bell made his choice clear.

“I tried to stay out of the recruiting process and let our staff handle the recruiting of Kade,” Coach Bell said. “We talked to some other schools, Elon University, Wofford College and Appalachian State University. But in the end, he decided he wanted to attend JU.”

Kade Bell is coming in at the same size Josh McGregor, JU’s current star quarterback, was when he first came to the university. He has started every game except for one since his freshman year and holds almost every single game, season and career passing record at JU.

“I feel I know his offense, know the verbiage that they use and know what he’s looking for in reading defenses,” Kade Bell said. “He’s done a great job in developing Josh McGregor, and I hope he can do that with me.”