JU Athletes Arrested

The Navigator

Jacksonville University football players face charges of felony battery after violent incidents with a lacrosse student-athlete on February 11.

According to the Jacksonville Sheriff’s office, Jordan Dewhirst and Bradley Burns were arrested after assaulting Daniel Meyer in Jacksonville University’s Oak Residence Hall. Meyer has serious injuries to his face including broken bones around his eyes and sinuses.

According to an email included in the police report and eyewitnesses, the situation began when Meyer punched Dewhirst in the parking lot of club Rain on 845 University Blvd before leaving the area in his truck.

“The whole matter was a complicated situation,” said Bryan Coker, Dean of Students at Jacksonville University. “There were elements on campus, elements off campus, and elements that occurred in between- both on and off campus that require a lot of time and investigation.”

According to the police report, Meyer said that the group of boys followed him from club Rain back to the university. Dewhirst used his card to enter the dormitory 20 seconds after Meyer.

Coker said the video shows approximately 6 people entering Oak Hall besides the victim but there is no footage of the actual altercation.

According to the police report, Meyer said that several males began to punch and kick him all over his body and he would not be able to pick the suspects out if they were standing right in front of him.

“Through the video and interactions that have occurred we’ve been able to get a pretty good idea of what transpired,” Coker said.

According to an email in the police report, Dewhirst admitted that he was the main aggressor and Burns admitted to initially grabbing Meyer.

According to the police report, Burns was aware of his outstanding warrant and turned himself in on March 2. Upon his arrest, Burns said he did not touch Meyer.

According to the police report Dewhirst was expelled.

Coker said that the Jacksonville Security Offices’ investigation just began and that Meyer’s family is pressing charges.

The university’s investigation is complete after conducting interviews and studying reports.

“We hold all of our student-athletes to high standards of conduct and we are disappointed that this incident occurred,” said Alan Verlander, director of athletics in his statement. “Both players have been suspended indefinitely from our football program as the investigation and judicial process occurs.”