CDC: Exploring Possibilities

Misha Khan

Jacksonville University has an extremely helpful resource for its students; the Career Development Center located on the third floor of the Davis Student Commons. Formerly known as Career Services, the Career Development Center has a new coordinator, Devan Coughlin, and a whole new feel to it.

“We haven’t officially launched the new brand yet but we are moving forward,” Coughlin said.

The new Career Center emphasizes more on development, focusing on building up career skills and setting career goals rather than simply helping with resumes and job searches, services that it does still offer on a wide scale.

According to Coughlin, the new center provides the students with much more to choose from.

The Career Development Center provides JU students with a variety of services all free of charge. Other than helping build a strong, presentable resume, the career center also offers self- assessments to help students decide a career path for themselves. Devan Coughlin and Steve Montesinos are career counselors who have been trained to assist students foster interview skills, carry out a successful job or internship search and even help with all of the decision- making process.

“Steve and I are career counselors so we studied how to do all this,” Coughlin said. “We even help some students pick out graduate schools. So in the fall when most graduate school applications are due, students can come in and we will actually help them fill out their applications.”

CDC’s office offers students much more than career counseling. Their office includes a student work station along with a mini career library filled with books that help students with every process of finding a job and getting hired. The counselors are friendly, welcoming and extremely helpful.

Students can easily browse through the CDC database which contains several job and internship opportunities. The center has around 700 business affiliates and a strong alumni network that includes both local and national listings.

As far as classes are concerned, Coughlin said that is something the Academic Advising offices can help with but undecided majors at JU can also drop by for some guidance.

“I think that we would be a great place to help with that,” Coughlin said. “Our role in that process is to help the student explore and we look at three things, your values, your interests, and your skills. We have assessments where we can help students decide particular areas and even give them occupational information.”

The center’s website lists numerous jobs and internships and is updated on a daily basis. One of the portals, www.collegecentral.com/ju, lets students post their resumes online for various employers to look through and give the students a call back. One of their many services even includes holding career fairs so students have the opportunity to meet with potential employers and see what working with them would be like.

Students can either schedule an appointment or simply visit the counselors for a quick one-on-one during the CDC’s drop-in hours.

Coughlin said that drop-in hours for the CDC are from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. Mondays and Tuesdays, and 10 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. on Thursdays and Fridays.

“Ultimately, I want this place to be packed with students,” Coughlin said. “Our services are completely free and not many places offer these services so it’s great that even though it’s a small school JU is offering this service.”

The Career Development Center can be contacted via e-mail at [email protected] or by phone at 904-256-7054.