Student Profile: Rebecca Stott

Bryan Jones

Photo Courtesy of Rebecca StottRebecca Stott, senior at Jacksonville University, graduates in April 2011. Upon her graduation she will be receiving a Bachelors of Business Administration in Business Management. Her choice to attend JU comes with several reasons.

“There were several factors that played into making the decision to come to JU,” Stott said. “In quick summary, I believe that God blessed me with athletic ability and leadership skills on and off the pitch and by coming to JU I would get to put both of those traits to good use. The small class size was attractive as well and has truly helped me succeed academically throughout the past four years.“

Stott is really flourishing in her field. While many students may question their choice in majors, she feels that it has molded her to be the best she can be in her future career.

“Business management has really catered to my personality because it touched on several different subjects which allows flexibility in determining my career. In the same breath it can be a little wearisome because of all the options you have in front of you.”

As many should, Stott has chosen her major wisely. She feels confident on how the major she is studying for will help shape her future and properly prepare her for what lies ahead in the real world. On the subject of her choice in business, Stott explains the advantages it will have to her future.

“Once you find your passion and discover where you want your career to take off to, having the business management background gives you a greater understanding of the world around you and how it functions, and how you fit into it,” she said.

Stott is very active on campus. She is a member of Varsity Women’s Soccer, the Student Athlete Advisory Committee, the Green Key Honorary Leadership Society, the InterVarsity Christian Fellowship, Omicron Delta Kappa, and Alpha Kappa Psi, the business fraternity.

Within her roles in these organizations she has helped plan several different events on campus. These events include Relay For Life at JU and the First Annual JU Athletic Dance.

“Easily, my favorite memory of JU is the successful hosting of SAAC’s First Annual JU Athletic Dance,” she said. “Seeing the athletes come together to dance and just enjoy themselves, while also donating over 120 pairs of shoes to be shipped to Nicaragua to help the people there get their feet off the disease-infiltrated ground.”

She has received the Department of Athletics Outstanding Academic Excellence Award.

Stott traveled to Ecuador during the spring break study abroad trip in 2009.

Along with her JU experiences, Stott has helped her church in multiple mission trips to Nicaragua. Stott explains that these experiences have truly altered her life.

“These trips were life-changing because of the personal interactions with locals and realizing the true value in relationships and not material things,” she said.

Stott already has a good handle on what exactly she plans on pursuing after she receives her diploma.

“After graduation I will continue my internship with CSX Transportation and upon its termination I plan to travel to Central America and work for a few service organizations, the most well-known one being Habitat for Humanity in Costa Rica,” she said. “Once there I will serve the people, dive into the culture, and be completely immersed so I can learn the language and the people. From there I will pursue a graduate degree and a career in international business.”