What to Do When You Don’t Know What to Do

Erin Seaton, Design Editor

I think we’ve all pretty much reached this point in our college lives, or we’re pretty close to it. You know, that point when every day you worry and fret about what you’re going to do after you graduate? Oh yeah. You just love that feeling, don’t you?

I still have a year until I graduate but I already feel the impending doom of what I’m going to do after graduation. Should I pursue a career in journalism, which is what I’m majoring in? Or should I pursue a career in the performing arts, which is something I’ve been passionate about my whole life? When you have unending questions like these, who or where do you turn to?

I found some consolation in our on-campus Career Resource Center. There, I was able to take a career aptitude test which matched my personality and interests to potential careers – some of which I found interesting; others, not so much. While it didn’t fully assuage my worries about my post-grad life, it gave me a bit more perspective on what I could do in the future.

There also seems to be some pressure put upon our age group as a whole from older generations. Maybe we don’t actually need to go into our career field immediately after college? We’re told that we need to find a job right after graduation and pursue that until we retire. What if I don’t want to? What if I want to go backpacking across Europe the summer after I graduate? What if I want to volunteer abroad? Why do I need to immediately rush into my career of choice – don’t I get a chance to relax and enjoy my newfound freedom?

Your twenties are meant to be a time of exploration – within yourself, with others, and with life in general. Maybe the major you chose in college doesn’t end up becoming your lifelong career. Maybe the guy you’ve dated since high school isn’t your soulmate after all. What I’m saying is that sometimes, you don’t need to have the answers right away. It’s okay to take your time. Life works in mysterious ways. No matter what it throws your way, eventually, everything will work itself out.

So you don’t have to start the rest of your life immediately after graduation. If you want to, go for it! If not, don’t worry – you have the rest of your life to figure it out. Believe me, I’m with you.