Tracing (Over Vellum)’ to debut on Dolphin Radio

Back to Article
Back to Article

Poster poster for

Poster poster for "Tracing (Overl Vellum)'

Artwork by Patrick Monteith

Artwork by Patrick Monteith

Artwork by Patrick Monteith

Jezabel Rosa, Contributing Writer

*This article only has two sources. It will be nice to get Stouse’s opinion on this topic.

JACKSONVILLE, Fla.— For the first time at Jacksonville University, the dolphin radio and College of Fine Arts will be teaming up to bring live theater to its listeners.

“This has never been done before at Dolphin Radio and we hope that this is the start of something new and exciting,” said Michael Gonzalez, dolphin radio program director and third year communication major at JU.

The live broadcast will be of Carlos Adorno’s original play “Tracing (Over Vellum).” Adorno is a fourth-year theatre major and winner of the Michael Kanin playwright award for his original play “String,” which premiered in the Swisher Theatre last fall.

Gonzalez first contacted Adorno about wanting to bring something new to Dolphin Radio, with live theater broadcasting. This would result in a partnership between the College of Fine Arts and the student-led radio station.

“I thought it was a great idea and was on-board the minute he finished his proposal,” said Adorno.

This broadcast will be like no other, with a full cast, director and sound designer. Listeners will be submerged into this story, explains Adorno, who says it is full of happiness and frustration, love and hate.

“The story is about two visual artists, Charlie and his wife Danielle,” said Adorno. “Charlie is fighting to overcome the challenges in their marriage, while Danielle does seemingly everything in her power to destroy it, such as to hopefully attain artistic success like Charlie. Even if it means capitalizing on his untimely onset of inherited schizophrenia.”

Dolphin Radio is providing Adorno with all its facilities and equipment for this project.

There will be three separate broadcasts of the play, and each will be completely different from the other.

“The main idea behind this is to bring people together to appreciate the art of radio and theatre,” said Gonzalez. “We are reaching out to the entire Jacksonville community. This is not just for students of JU. We want everyone to tune-in to this broadcast.”

Adorno wants to use this as an opportunity to bring all the JU community together and be recognized by the several playwright houses that will be tuning in, such as The Public Theatre in NYC and The Orlando Shakespeare Theatre.

“Athletes, musicians, nurses, business people, everyone can enjoy this,” said Adorno. “It’s not your typical play, it’s exciting and it makes you fall in love with characters and take a break from your life. The story can be appreciated by anyone, not just theater people.”

With easy accessibility, Adorno and Gonzalez are hoping that they have a good turnout.

The broadcast will run Nov. 8 to 10, with each broadcast beginning at 7 p.m. There will also be a special live stream through Dolphin Radio’s Instagram page on Nov. 9.

“This is exciting and scary,” said Gonzalez. “It is the first time we are doing a production this big over Dolphin Radio. I hope people tune in and appreciate the art of radio and theater combined. It will be mind blowing.”