JU is ready to give back on Charter Day

Back to Article
Back to Article

JU is ready to give back on Charter Day

CORIE BIANDIS

CORIE BIANDIS

CORIE BIANDIS

Hannah Pippin, Staff Writer

JACKSONVILLE, Fla.— Those at Jacksonville University strive to be a beacon in the Arlington community by giving back and doing what they can to serve others.

Every year, JU celebrates its birthday and the signing of its charter. During founder’s week, the school takes the time to celebrate through different events.

In honor of the school’s founding, the university hosts Charter Day, a daylong celebration involving service to the community, a reception on campus, and a global toast for people around the world who cannot be in person for the celebration.

On Friday, April 12, students, faculty, staff, and alumni will spend half the day working on projects around the Arlington community and downtown Jacksonville.

Emily Adams, a senior business management major, talks about why she thinks Charter Day is important as a JU student.

“I think that Charter Day is important for JU because JU really prides itself on the family environment that it provides and the sense of community that we feel,” Adams says. “So, Charter Day is an opportunity for us to spread that feeling in that mindset towards our larger community.”

In 2015, President Cost made the decision to establish a day in which the school would go out into the community to give back.

Charter Day of Service was introduced to bring Jacksonville University back into the Arlington community and to revitalize parts of the community surrounding the school.

Vicky Bates of the honors department administration, talks about why she thinks it’s important for Jacksonville University to give back.

“I think JU is a standout university,” Bates says. “That’s one of the ways that we stand out amongst the other universities in Jacksonville, that on the Charter Day our students, our faculty, and our staff go out and give back to the community that has given so much to us. I think it’s a wonderful thing that we do and I think it really showcases the awesomeness that is Jacksonville University.”

The university offers over 20 different opportunities for participants to choose and give back to the community.

These opportunities also allow students the chance of coming together and bonding with other students, faculty, staff, and the community at large.

Hannah Cone, a junior English major, agrees.

“Charter Day has provided so many opportunities,” Cone says. “Not only to give back to the community, but also bond with fellow JU students.”