Rural Gems: Just a “Two-Egg” Town

Back to Article
Back to Article

Rural Gems: Just a “Two-Egg” Town

Lawrence’s Grocery store located in Two-Egg, Florida.

MARK FOLEY

MARK FOLEY

MARK FOLEY

Hannah Murray, Staff Writer

JACKSONVILLE, Fla.— Nestled on the intersection of State Road 69 and State Road 69A, not far from the Chattahoochee River, is a town consisting of little more than a few old buildings.

Two Egg, Florida is a town of legends and mystery, where old wives’ tales run through the community’s identity like the water that barrels down the river.

One of the biggest mysteries of Two Egg is how it got its name, although oral stories passed down through the generations can give us a clue.

Before Two Egg was Two Egg, it was a lumber town known as Allison. It consisted of one grocery store, a sawmill, and a post office.

Legend has it that during the Great Depression, the local townsfolk would trade their farming products for goods at the local grocery store.

According to local legend, two boys would come in routinely and trade the grocer two eggs for sugar. Locals caught on and soon began to jokingly call the business a “two egg store.”

This caught like wildfire, and before long, the town was deemed “Two Egg” by nearby communities and traveling salesmen who would stop. Before long, even the post office had adopted it.

This light-hearted story represents what makes towns like Two Egg a treasure to locals. It demonstrates the ability to put on a good face, even during the hardest of times.

It represents the resilience of those small-town locals, who find ways to make ends meet, even when money is hard to come by.

Of course, the legends don’t stop simply at Two Egg’s name.

One local legend involves a mini-Bigfoot said to stalk Two Egg and the surrounding areas.

The creature was given the title of the “Two Egg Stump Jumper.”

According to locals who have reportedly seen it, the Stump Jumper stands only five feet tall and most say he is covered in gray or brown hair.

Among those said to have seen the famous Stump Jumper are county officials, local optometrists, retired journalists, and attorneys.

Sightings of the Stump Jumper have become so common in one swamp near the town, it was given the affectionate nickname of “Stump Jumper Slough.”

Two Egg TV, a local channel dedicated to the works of local historian Dale Cox, is currently working on a documentary titled “Stump Jumper: The mini-Bigfoot of Two Egg, Florida.”

Aside from the legends, Two Egg is also known for their annual events, which are organized by some of the 200 residents of the small community.

One such event that continues to draws crowds is the annual Long Cane Grinding Day, which takes place around the end of October.

The event is held on the day that the Long family cane farm gathers and grounds their cane to make the famous Robert E. Long syrup. Free sausage and cane syrup is offered for breakfast, followed by festival of arts and crafts and selling syrup.

The event draws nearly 4,000 people every year, according to Cox.

With local legends aplenty, Two Egg is a community rich in culture. With many stories to be heard, it is simply begging for visitors to come and discover the rich history that rests on that single intersection in the Florida panhandle.