Goodbye JU, hello spring break

Back to Article
Back to Article

Goodbye JU, hello spring break

The famous Universal globe located at Universal Studios in Orlando, Florida.

Paulo Guereta

Paulo Guereta

Paulo Guereta

Natalie Williams, Contributing Writer

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – Florida is one of the biggest destinations for spring break vacation. However, some students in Florida have a hard time planning a successful trip in a short time frame.

Spring break this year starts March 11 and ends March 15 for Jacksonville University students. While many students from different colleges may have different dates scheduled, they still most likely struggle with finding the best and cheapest destination.

Disney World has a 1-day park hopper option for Florida residents that’s $150.70. For residents outside of that option, it’s a $56-dollar difference.

SeaWorld has a three park ticket where you can enjoy three visits to their other partnered parks, Aquatica, Busch Gardens or Adventure Island, all for $137.98 if you buy online three days in advance.

Holy Land is $50 for a day of exploration. The Kennedy Space Center costs $65.98 and includes options like Space Shuttle Atlantis or the Shuttle Launch Experience.

One adult ticket to Volcano Bay, including tax, is $85.20 while a park-to-park ticket for one day to both Universal Studios Florida and Universal’s Islands of Adventure would be $179.99, tax included.

Orlando wouldn’t be a bad idea for one JU employee and student, Tyra Jackson. This spring break, she plans to hang out with some of her family and travel with a friend to Orlando, where they plan to have a playdate with their kids at a theme park or nice hotel with a kid-friendly pool.

TripAdvisor.com, Yelp.com, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity.com, Airbnb.com, and VRBO.com are voted good resources to book hotels, find vacation homes to rent, book flights, find activities and even get opinions on the best nightlife, food and drink spots wherever you are looking to travel.

For those who love the beaches, Miami has the national popularity everyone is looking for. From the top craft breweries like Funky Buddha to the popular club life. Miami is one of the top-ranked places to go all year around.

Tenesha Green, a student at JU involved in Dolphin Media, plans to visit Miami.

“I plan to visit Miami during spring break,” she said. “To visit the beach and to get lit.”

Students who have thought about going to Miami for spring break, should check out South Beach where many go to party, sight-see the architecture, try and meet celebrities, or for the pure enjoyment of a beautiful beach. It’s the place to go for college students.

If you’re still saying “no” to all the places mentioned, then stick to the even cheaper vacation spots, such as Ginnie Springs, located in High Springs Florida. The admission is $14.02 to swim, tube the Santa Fe River, scuba dive, canoe, paddleboard, or kayak in the beautiful springs. For an additional price, you can rent equipment, though you’re welcome to bring your own.

Other  highly ranked springs  in the state include Blue Springs State Park, Ichetucknee Springs, Rainbow Springs State Park, Devil’s Den for scuba diving, and Silver Springs—home of glass bottom kayaking.

Still, there are local options if you just don’t want to leave Jacksonville or can’t because of sports commitments or a tight budget.

For students like Jessica Swint, who has a budget of around $100, there are plenty of local spots, like Smash, a new ping pong bar opened on the Southside of Jax; Autobahn Indoor Speedway; The Great Escape Room; or Class Axe Throwing.

Velocity or Bravoz  are both trampoline spots here in Jax. Roller rink skating like Skate Station or Sk8city are perfect for social fun settings. Each place has daily specials for adults and some places even have specials for college students.

Student Amelia Reynolds, a track and field athlete for JU, is one of the students that can’t exactly go anywhere because of her commitment to her team.

“I am staying here,” she said. “I need to train with the track team for the break. It makes more sense because we have a meet not long after the break is up.”

Although she has her commitments, she plans to enjoy her time off from school.