International Sorority Badge Day

Back to Article
Back to Article

International Sorority Badge Day

Heather Korczyk, a member of Gamma Phi Beta, and Morgan Colson, a member of Alpha Epsilon Phi, smile together at Badge Day.

MARISSA DAVENPORT

MARISSA DAVENPORT

MARISSA DAVENPORT

Josh Davis, Staff Writer

JACKSONVILLE, Fla.– So far, 2018 has been an empowering year for females across the board.

The International Sorority Badge Day, started by the national PanHellenic conference of 26 sororities in 1997, takes place on the first Monday in March and coincides with National Women’s Day. Women who go Greek gather to listen to speakers, wear their badges with pride, and catch up with sisters from neighboring sororities.

Badge Day originally not only started to provide the opportunity for conversation, but also to support sisters nationally.  It also allows women in sororities an opportunity to dress up and stay connected.

Junior student Marissa Davenport, president of the PanHellenic Council at JU, says it’s all about being the best woman you can be.

“It’s no mistake Badge Day was marked during Women’s History Month,” Davenport said. “You pledge to hold yourself to certain values and to better yourself as a woman. PanHellenic is centered on building sisterhood, building community, and lasting friendship.”

Davenport says she realized that after her first year at JU, sorority life was more about philanthropy rather than parties and clambakes. This changed her way of thinking for the better and ultimately led to her involvement in sorority life.

Junior communications major Emily Myslinski, a member of the Tri Delta sorority, wants girls that have doubts about sorority life to give it a chance, as she was once a skeptic too.

“I was afraid of what I saw about sororities from television,” Myslinski says. “Because of that I waited a full year to go through recruitment. It was kind of difficult for me to choose the right sorority. It’s based on individual values, and part of the philanthropic work Tri Delta did was working with St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital, and I loved that because I had family treated there so it meant a lot to me.”

Junior communications major Hannah Shami, who is a member of the ADPi sorority, says she is upset that Greek life gets a bad rap and that it is more than just social events.

“We don’t advertise our selfless acts,” Shami says. “Sadly, all you see are the pictures of the events and mixers, while just last week we did ‘Pie a Pi’ where you could pay a dollar to pie one of us in the face. All proceeds went to charity.”

Though selflessness is one small part of being a part of a sorority, in the big picture, it’s all about women coming together forming bonds and lifting one another up, says Davenport. In fact, she says she wishes she could tell every skeptic that sorority is about unity and the bond of women coming together to make a difference.

Davenport also stressed the history and symbolism of sororities.

“As early as 1859, women were encouraging one another and started these secret societies basically saying, ‘We matter,’” said Davenport. “When someone asks me what my badge means, I say, ‘It symbolizes the glory of being a Greek woman.’”