The Life of Emon Smith

Pierce Kilinc, Staff Writer

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – If you are ever feeling down and need some cheering up, Emon Smith might just be guy to see.

Smith, a junior aviation major here at Jacksonville University, has been known to lift the spirits of those around him.  Though helping people may take time out of Smith’s day, it fails to keep him from constantly working on his goals, for he is determined to reach them.

“I work so hard at everything I do for my family, my dad in particular,” Smith says.

Smith’s father became sick and passed away when Smith was eight years old.  It was then that Smith, along with his two older brothers, made a promise to live successful lives so that they will always be able to take care of their mother.

Smith has pleasant memories with his father and remembers loving to play piano with him.

“Playing piano is what I do when I want to get away from everything,” Smith says. “It gives me peace, and it’s where I feel closest to my dad.”

Emily Hallman, a freshman aviation major, is a member of the Reserve Officers’ Training Corps along with Smith. She says that it’s always a treat when she gets to listen to Smith play his favorite instrument.

“Emon has such a gift,” Hallman says. “Something special happens when he plays.”

Being a member of ROTC and the football team, Smith’s schedule is far from light.

“There are some days where I have to wake up around four in the morning to get done what I need to do,” Smith says. “Although it’s challenging, I enjoy and want to excel in every activity I am involved with.”

According to junior finance major Nic Duch, Smith seems to excel in whatever he puts his mind to, especially when it comes to football.

“Emon is one of the most driven, self-motivated guys I know,” Duch says. “We could always count on him to make big plays for our team.”

For Smith, his role of being reliable goes much further than the football field. His friends look to him as someone who will be there for them through thick and thin.

“Emon noticed that I was stressed my first semester here at JU,” Hallman says. “He gave me self-assurance and helped me to believe in myself.”

Providing helpful services is something that Smith wishes to continue as he plans to serve his country in the armed forces after finishing up his schooling. He aspires to become a naval aviator.

Smith says that after he retires from the Navy, he would love to step back onto the gridiron as a college coach.

“Coaches have always played a huge role in shaping me into the man I am today,” Smith said. “I would love to carry that same role, having the opportunity to impact young players.”

Though Smith may still not be completely sure where he’ll end up, he says he’ll go through life with a smile.

“I will be sad to see him leave,” Duch says. “But I am confident that he will find success in whatever path he takes.”