Student Profile: Darion Diasgranados

Bryan Jones

Darion Diasgranados, senior, is a music business major from Waldorf, Md. He came to Jacksonville University in 2007 because he liked how the program dealt with more of the music side than the business side. He expressed his interest in learning music theory. That’s his favorite part about his major.

“It deals with the music side and the business side,” Diasgranados said. “I could teach music or go into the business side.”

He works with a music group on campus called the Music Industry Entertainment Student Association (MIESA), which has recently started signing student musicians.

Diasgranados has come a long way from when he first arrived as a freshman. He came to JU not knowing anybody and certain he would have to do everything himself.

“My parent’s didn’t even come with me,” Diasgranados said.

At first he didn’t know what to expect.

“I was on the brink of not wanting to attend college but my mom and dad were so proud of me because no one in my family had gone to college,” Diasgranados said. “I felt like I had something to prove.”

Now Diasgranados is president of the Black Student Union. His goal is to get the organization to go out and do positive things. He credits Dolphin Productions for helping him with his event planning skills, where he was first the music coordinator and then the special events planner.

“I want people to know this isn’t just a black club,” he said. “It’s people who are educated and inspiring.”

Some of the events that the BSU has held were an open mic night, a stroll-off, and a gospel celebration.

Diasgranados’ favorite memory is of going to the Riverview Café (the new name of the school cafeteria) with his group of friends.

“My friends were my family,” he said. “At noon every day we’d go put a bunch of tables together and just talk about our day.”