Filed under Showcase, Sports

JU football falls to Dayton

online-6

On Saturday Oct. 15, the Jacksonville University Dolphins took on the Dayton Flyers at D.B. Milne Field. The Flyers came out victorious in a 36-16 win.

This loss ended a 10-game home conference win streak for the Dolphins, according to the Jacksonville University athletics site. The result of the game gave JU a losing record at 2-3, and the defending Patriot League champion Dayton Flyers at 5-2 on the season.

The Dolphins got off to any early lead, scoring a field goal on their opening drive. The field goal was kicked by Javier Arce- Ramirez. The Dolphin’s defense held Dayton scoreless in the first quarter and only allowed nine total yards.

The first quarter helped give the team some confidence leading into the second quarter.

“The first quarter definitely gave us a ton of confidence especially against a really good team and the defending Patriot League champions,” said Daryl Norwood, sophomore running back. “I wouldn’t say it was perfect because we missed some good opportunities and only had 3 points but the way we played them defensively was a confidence booster.”

The Dolphins’ strong defensive play came to an end with Dayton scoring their first touchdown of the game in the first 3 minutes of the second quarter. The Flyers would capitalize on a JU turnover and score their second touchdown within two minutes of their first touchdown, according to Jacksonville University athletic site. The Flyers went on to score 13 more points in the second quarter and go into halftime with a 27-3 lead on the Dolphins.

The Dolphins regained some hope and came out strong in the third quarter. Pernell Rattray caught a 78-yard touchdown pass from Ryan Wells which made the score 30-9. On the next Dolphin’s possession, Wells rushed for a 2-yard touchdown which made the score 30-16.

“We definitely needed those two big plays,” said Pernell Rattray, junior wide receiver. “After those two scores we felt like momentum was on our side.”

The Dolphins’ second half rally would not be enough to make a full comeback. The only fourth quarter scoring would be two field goals made by the Dayton kicker William Will, who was 3/3 on field goals attempts in the game. The final score of the game was Dayton 36 JU 16.

Not everything about the game was bad. Senior Justin Horton had his career high 10-tackles and two sacks. Ulysses Bryant had his best game of the season with 87-yards on 14 rush attempts, according to the Jacksonville University athletic site. Grady Redding led the Dolphins with 11.5 tackles and continues to be the season team leader in that category.

The Dolphins’ next game is on the road against another conference opponent in Morehead State.

Coach Ian Shields was not happy with the outcome of the game.

“When you lose the turnover battle five to nothing, you’re not going to beat a good football team and defending conference champion,” said Head Coach Ian Shields. “We need to bounce back and show some resolve, and we will, to get ready for Morehead State next week.”