Five functions, five values FINAL

On Tuesday, Feb. 23 and Wednesday, Feb. 24, students, faculty and staff gathered to share their opinions on the future direction of JU at the Strategic Plan town hall meeting.

The focus of the meeting was on five functions: curricular, academics and cross disciplinary; co-curricular, student affairs and athletics; community and economic development; enrollment, marketing and development; finances and facilities. These functions were located within five values: excellence, rigor, creativity, global, and technology.

Though there were many issues, concerns, and possibilities brought up at the meeting, President Tim Cost wanted to assure the community that “we will use this plan,” and will prioritize to ensure that JU doesn’t approach these improvements like “driving a car and changing a tire at the same time.”

David Healy, Chief Financial Officer, and Terri Davlantes, Executive Director of the EPIC program at JU, explained the results of the JU Strategic Plan survey sent to students on Jan. 29.

Some of the positives students believe JU embodies, according to the survey, include: the university has small class sizes, great faculty interaction and a beautiful campus. The negatives include facilities are in need of upgrades, there are not enough online course options and a difficult parking situation.

After addressing the results of the survey, community members had the opportunity to break into one of the five functions that they wanted to discuss. Ideas such as placing cell phone boosters for better service in the apartments and creating a new library that would be a central place on campus were communicated along with concerns such as not having an infirmary on campus and a lack of family and graduate housing on campus.

Those who would like further information on the Strategic Plan town hall meeting can contact [email protected].