Clarinet Day Musicians Sharpen Their Skills

The Jacksonville University College of Fine Arts hosted JU Clarinet day on Jan. 30, bringing together musicians of all ages to participate. The event was put on by the Division of Music but was not exclusive to students and staff. Performers from around the region gathered to discuss, instruct and participate in playing the clarinet alongside peers for a full day of affairs.

The occasion drew clarinet players of varying age and skill levels to JU including middle school, high school, college and professional players. Altogether approximately 60 musicians arrived on campus, according to Artie Clifton, Associate Professor of Music and one of the chief operators of the event. The day featured a number of interactive opportunities for those involved which ranged from master classes to a culminating finale concert at night. 

Along with Clifton were a handful of other professionals including Rachel Clifton, Calvin Falwell, Bruce Marking, Sunshine Simmons and Peter Wright. Participants were able to see and play a selection of different clarinets that were brought in from Buffet Crampon, a clarinet manufacturing company based out of Jacksonville. This offered a distinct chance for musicians new and old to experience an array of instruments that they might not have otherwise been able to get a hand on. Along with that, they had the opportunity to learn about some of the more technical aspects of the instrument and in some cases even receive assistance in clarinet repairs. Clarinet Concert-Villegas-3

Players were able to participate in two master classes during the day, according to Clifton, where they could perform and receive professional critique and instruction. The event also featured a rehearsal with the Jacksonville Festival Clarinet Choir and a recital later in the afternoon. At the end of the day, the musicians gathered in Terry Concert Hall for a finale concert that featured Clarinet Quartets and Quintets as well as a performance from the Choir.

The finale concert was marked by a four person performance from Wright, Clifton, Simmons, and Marking. The four boast long careers as performers, teachers, students and technicians of the instrument over their careers. Students were able to come full circle over the span of a day and the concert ended with a finishing performance by the Clarinet Choir.