Filed under Archive, Football, Sports

Dolphins escape with win

Strong Rushing Attack Leads JU

Back to Article
Back to Article

Dolphins escape with win

JD Hysler

JD Hysler

JD Hysler

The Dolphins used a strong rushing game to open their mid-season home stand with a 30-26 victory over Morehead State. The win improved the Dolphins to 4-0 for the first time since 2001 and has them one win away from the best start in school history.

The rushing game proved to be a two-man operation led by junior running back Ulysses Bryant who rushed for 115 yards and two touchdowns, both of which came in the first half. Sophomore running back Jamal Adjamah added 163 yards of his own to help bolster the Dolphins’ rushing total to 304 yards.

Facing an Eagles team that was coming to Jacksonville on a two-game winning streak, in which they hadn’t allowed a point, the offense rose to the occasion and delivered in front of a packed house at D.B. Milne Field.

The Eagles started the scoring at the end of the first quarter when Austin Gahafer, their star junior quarterback, connected with senior wideout Justin Cronwall for a nine yard touchdown. Cornwall would add another two touchdowns to that total before the contest was through.

JU answered the touchdown on the following drive with a touchdown of their own. Senior quarterback Kade Bell, was able to shake loose from a collapsing pocket and connect with Emoni Williams for 44 yard touchdown reception.

After Bryant’s touchdowns and sophomore kicker Brandon Behr’s 48 yard field goal conversion, the Dolphins held a 24-7 halftime lead over the Eagles. Behr missed two previous attempts earlier in the half.

The defense showed in the first half that they were able to contain Gahafer and limit his playmaking ability to almost nothing. Although the defense didn’t cause a turnover for the first in two games, they were able to come up with the big play in order to stall the Eagles’ drives. This was not the case in the second half.

Wickliff_Football_02

The second half proved to be much more balanced in terms of scoring. The Eagles came out of the break with a new found intensity and it showed when they took the field.

After Behr opened the second half scoring with a 36 yard field goal, Gahafer marched his Eagles down the field and found Cornwall for their second touchdown completion of the contest.

Behr then connected for his third field goal of the contest, this time from 40 yards out to give the Dolphins a 30-17 edge over the Eagles. Gahafer would not be out done however, and led the Eagles to another touchdown pass to Cornwall.

Although the Eagles tried to make it interesting in the fourth quarter by adding a pair of field goals, the Dolphins’ defense, once again, proved to be more the more dominant force on the field by keeping the Eagles from taking the lead late in the contest.

“We did pretty well but left a lot of points out there,” Adjamah said. “We have to get back to practice and iron the wrinkles out.”

The Dolphins welcome Stetson to D.B. Milne field on Oct. 10 for their annual homecoming celebration.