Filed under Archive, Soccer, Sports

JU remains unbeaten against FGCU

The Jacksonville Dolphins’ women’s soccer team took on Florida Gulf Coast University in front of a very crowded Southern Oak Stadium which ended in a 1-1 draw between the two squads. 

The JU team is currently still unbeaten against FGCU, however their rivalry is a rather new one, only having begun in 2007. Although ending in a tie, FGCU outshot JU in attempts on goal 30-8.

Going into the game, JU knew that FGCU had a powerful attacking force which had to be controlled. The star of the game for our ladies was goal keeper Sara Wicks, who only let one shot go in at the beginning of the game. Wicks, a sophomore, had a performance that was a season best for her with 13 saves.

JU’s only goal scored came at the beginning of the contest off the foot of sophomore midfielder Jessica Shaffelburg. She beat FGCU’s goalie to the ball as the goalie tried to clear it to make the goal. The team started out strong from the beginning, playing with a lot of enthusiasm and energy, especially toward the start of the game.

“It was the best game we’d played in a while,” said Ashley Poirier, senior center back. “I just think we need to come out with the same energy for the whole game.”

The season is quickly coming to a close, with only five games remaining. For seniors, this will mean the end of a college experience being part of a collegiate sports team.

“It’s scary. I don’t want to be done, but it was a great four years,” Poirier said.

The fan turnout for this game was very impressive.

The last women’s soccer home game will take place on Friday, October 23, when they take on the UNF Ospreys. 

[email protected]