Filed under Archive, Sports, Volleyball

Volleyball End Losing Streak

Day One

The JU volleyball team lost all three sets of their Friday night match against the College of Charleston who hosted the weekend challenge.

The Cougars came out strong in the first set, taking and early 15-3 lead. The Dolphins battled but their comeback effort fell short and the Cougars won the first set 25-13.

The second set proved to be much more of a competition, but the Cougars were still able to earn a 25-20 set victory.

In the final set, the Dolphins could not keep the points flowing and fell 25-9. Losing their first game 3-0.

“We came out very slow and not ready to play,” said Julie Darty, head coach. “Charleston came out hard and fast, playing very efficient volleyball.”

Day Two

On the second day of the College of Charleston Challenge the Dolphins had two matches, losing the first to Tennessee but beating Wofford in the second match, which snapped a five-match losing streak.

The first match against Tennessee proved to be a strong fight put forth by Jacksonville. The Dolphins took a one set lead behind a strong 25-17 performance. UT quickly responded, taking the second set 25-20 after a strong and dominating showing. The Lady Vols won the third set and fourth sets 25-19 and 25-16 respectively.

Later in the afternoon, the Dolphins took on Wofford winning the match in straight sets. Jacksonville set the tempo early by winning the first six points in the first set. The Dolphins took the set 30-28 after a comeback push from the Terriers.

The second set was a hard battle just like the first one, but the Dolphins pulled out 25-21 set victory. The third set appeared to be moving in Wofford’s favor, but the Dolphins came on strong, tying the set at nine points each. The Dolphins went on to take set 25-21, giving the Dolphins a much needed win.

The Dolphins embark on yet another road trip to participate in the Dayton Flyer Classic. JU will face Eastern Michigan, Illinois State, and Dayton in the two-day tourney.