Filed under Archive, Soccer, Sports

More Than a Soccer Match

JU and the Armada FC Embark on New Partnership

Back to Article
Back to Article

More Than a Soccer Match

JD Hysler

JD Hysler

JD Hysler

The Dolphins got a great glimpse into the professional world of soccer when they took on the Jacksonville Armada FC. Losing to the Armada 2-0 at home was not part of the plan, but the partnership that has blossomed between the two organizations will allow future Dolphins the same experiences.

The packed house at Southern Oak Stadium on JU’s campus was treated to an exciting first half that included three shots on goal from the Armada. The Dolphins held strong throughout most of the first half, but Armada FC’s Akeil Barrett scored in the 44th minute just before the half. Jemal Johnson would add his own goal in the 51st minute, giving the Armada a 2-0 lead they would not relinquish.

The matches were the reason that the people came to Southern Oak Stadium, but there are shared goals that lie beneath the friendly match between the two Jacksonville-based programs.

“Our two organizations
have immense professional respect for each other,” said Donnie Horner, JU Athletic Director. “Both the Armada and Jacksonville University share the goal of promoting and growing the game of soccer.”

The relationship between the Armada and Jacksonville University was bound to happen. Armada FC owner Mark Frisch chairs the JU Board of Trustees Athletic Committee and he is also the CEO of Sea Best Seafood which is one of JU Athletics primary sponsors.

Even if the marriage was destined to be, both sides share a vision that will benefit current and future students. The Armada seems like a great fit to play the big-brother role for the Dolphins and the Armada’s work off the field proves that.

“We make appearances all around the community so we are very active,” Frisch said. “Especially at youth soccer camps and non-profit organizations.”

It is easy to see the potential that the Armada and Jacksonville University see in each other. Both sides benefit from having a positive and professional relationship and the fans around both programs reap the benefits by getting the opportunity to watch great soccer.

“The relationship is a win-win,” Horner said. “We could not ask for better partners.”