Filed under Archive, Lacrosse, Sports

Lacrosse Recap

Two Back-to-Back Wins

Back to Article
Back to Article

Lacrosse Recap

JU Uses Comeback to Beat Robert Morris

On March 11 the men’s lacrosse team defeated Robert Morris 18-13 at D.B. Milne Field on JU’s campus. The heat proved to be a factor as the Colonials from Pittsburgh, Pa. couldn’t seem to adjust to the drastic change in weather.

It appeared that the Dolphins lacked defense in the first half, but their offensive play helped keep them in the game. JU fell behind to the Colonials by two goals in the first quarter, but showed their perseverance in the second quarter as they managed to claw their way up to within one.

The Dolphins proved that they were back on track in the second half by playing better defense and keeping the same offensive pace. The adjustments that JU made helped provide them with their third win of the season.

Junior Chase Miller led all scorers with five goals. The 18 goals scored by the Dolphins are the second most in school history.

Dolphins’ Defense too Much for VMI

JU used incredible defense and precision shot on offense to beat Virginia Military Institute 8-3 on March 14, in Lexington, Va. The three goals given up by the Dolphins was the least by any team in school history.

The Dolphins got two goals from senior Conor Igoe as well as two goals from brothers Rob and Tom Moore. Tom Moore’s two goals gave him his team-leading 15th goal of the season. The Dolphins also got single contributions from senior Quint Miller and redshirt sophomore Jet Harding.

Although the goals from the offensive side of the ball helped give the Dolphins a cushion, it was the play from the defense that really sealed the Keydets fate against the Dolphins. The defense only allowed one VMI goal in the second half and the Dolphins walked away with a victory in their Southern Conference opener. The victory was the fifth in a row over the Keydets for the Dolphins.