While You Were Gone

Spring Break Athletics Recap

BASEBALL LOSES INAUGURAL MAYOR’S CUP

The Dolphins lost the inaugural Mayor’s Cup 3-2 to cross-town rival UNF. What used to be a game played for bragging rights between the two schools is now a game that carries the weight of the winner being labeled city champion and owner of the Mayor’s Cup for one year.

The two teams treated the crowd at John Sessions Stadium to an action packed game that went down to the wire as the Dolphins threatened with two runners aboard and only down one run in the bottom of the ninth inning.

The late inning rally was started when junior infielder JJ Gould singled to centerfield for his second hit of the game. Senior infielder Angelo Amendolare advanced the runner into scoring position after lining a hard-hit grounder to second base. UNF intentionally walked junior first baseman Connor Marabell, giving the Dolphins two runners on base with two outs. The threat was squashed when sophomore outfielder Austin Hayes grounded out to third base.

Although the Dolphins lost the game and the inaugural Mayor’s Cup, there were still positive things to take away from the performance.

The bullpen did not allow a run in the final six innings of play as they left five Osprey base runners stranded during that stretch. The bullpen was led by freshman pitcher Spencer Stockton, who threw three shutout innings in the contest.

TRACK FIELD NAMED WJXT CHANNEL 4’S “TEAM OF THE WEEK”

After winning their tenth consecutive Atlantic Sun Conference indoor track and field championship, the Dolphins were named “Team of the Week” by WJXT Channel 4 and Harrell and Harrell. The weekly series put on by WJXT recognizes teams and organizations for being extraordinary through their accomplishments. After the Dolphins brought home their tenth consecutive indoor track and field championship, head coach Ron Grigg was named Atlantic Sun “Coach of the Year” for the 20th time in his career.

WOMEN’S GOLF CONTINUES GREAT PLAY

The women’s golf team continued their season-long great play at the Bearcat Spring Classic finishing second out of 17 teams in the contest. Senior Jessica Walsh, sophomore Sabrina Rumbaugh and freshman Shania Berger all finished in the top 10 for the competition.

Walsh earned her fifth top 10 performance of the season and tied for fifth in the contest with a score of 225. Rumbaugh closed the contest with a final round of 74, which placed her at seventh overall while Berger finished tenth overall. Berger, who has struggled with injury all season long, posted a final round score of 74 which included three birdies.

The Dolphins continue their season on March 30 when they play host to the Web. com event that is held at Marsh Landing Country Club. The tournament will be the last before the Dolphins head into the Atlantic Sun Conference championship.

SOFTBALLTALLIESFIRSTCONFERENCEWIN

The Dolphins’ 2-1 win over USC Upstate came with a double dose of good news. The Dolphins not only earned their first conference win of the season, but they also snapped the Spartans’ 23-game conference winning streak in the process.

After three scoreless innings, junior pitcher Victoria Brown took the risk of intentionally walking Upstate first baseman Cheyenne Griffin, which loaded the bases with only one out. The reward proved to be bigger than the risk, and the next batter popped out to the mound. Brown struck out the next batter and escaped the inning without any damage.

Brown helped herself on offense as well by singling down the left field line in the bottom half of the frame, scoring senior Lexie Ballard who singled earlier in the frame. The run broke the scoring drought and gave the Dolphins a lead that they would not relinquish. Brown earned her team-leading 25th RBI of the season with the single.

Upstate has recorded a home run in all but one game this year and they continued that trend against the Dolphins as Griffin hit a solo shot which cut the Dolphins’ lead to one run. The Spartans could not force another run, giving the Dolphins their first conference win of the season.

BASEBALL IMPROVES TO .500

JU walked out away from Emmitsburg, Md. with a series win over the Mountaineers from Mount St. Mary’s. The first game of the series was cancelled due to snow and the players were forced into a double-header on day two of the series. The Dolphins proved to be unfazed by the added play for one day as they swept the Mountaineers and improved to .500 on the season.

In the first game of the double-header, the Dolphins chalked up five doubles on 10 hits, while freshman pitcher Michael Baumann struck out eight batters on pace to a 5-2 win.

The second game didn’t start until 10:35 p.m. EST, but redshirt junior pitcher, Jeff Tanner, proved he is capable of performing during the later hours of the evening. Tanner struck out five batters in four innings pitched and earned his second win of the season.

Senior infielder Angelo Amendolare continued his hot streak at the plate by contributing his third multi-hit performance in four games while his infield counterpart, sophomore Seth Dewitt, recorded his first double of 2015 and scored two runs.