Filed under Archive, Lacrosse, Sports

JU Lacrosse on Full Display

Dolphins unable to treat the crowd with a win against Army

Back to Article
Back to Article

JU Lacrosse on Full Display

The JU men’s lacrosse team opened their season with all eyes watching as they lost to twentieth ranked Army 20-4 in the fourth annual “Moe’s Southwest Grill Classic.”

Although the team lost the match, they did bring in a record crowd of 3,877 for a lacrosse event at the newly renovated D.B. Milne Field. The event, which was formed in 2011, was usually held at EverBank Field in downtown Jacksonville, but for the first time, the Dolphins and the Athletics office welcomed the spectators to Jacksonville University, showing off not only the new stadium, but the beautiful campus as well.

“Since the beginning, the Moe’s Southwest Grill Classic has been a yearly highlight on our schedule,” said Guy Van Arsdale, head coach. “That we are able to bring the game to our campus makes it that much more meaningful for our players.”

The players had hoped for a better performance as they let the Black Knights walk away from Jacksonville with a convincing win.

“Army is obviously a very good team and very well prepared,” Van Arsdale said. “We turned the ball over way too much and we had some disorganization in our clearing game that led to a lot of those turnovers.”

The Dolphins did have some highlights to take away from the contest as they look to bounce back from this loss. Sophomore attacker Chase McIntyre led the team with three goals on only four shots, and redshirt senior Rob Moore had two assists for two points and a solo groundball. Redshirt sophomore Jet Harding proved to be a menace for the Black Knights as he recorded four ground balls and one turnover.

These things might seem small with only four goals on the scoreboard, but they are building-blocks that the team can build on as they move forward into their season.

The Dolphins return to action on Mar. 3 as they host the Michigan Wolverines at D.B. Milne Field.