Filed under Archive, Baseball, Sports

Dolphins Best 12th Ranked Seminoles

JU stops FSU’s late rally for big win

Back to Article
Back to Article

Dolphins Best 12th Ranked Seminoles

For the first time since 2009, the Dolphins defeated the Florida State Seminoles at home by winning an exciting game 5-3 at Sessions Stadium.

The Dolphins hopped on the board in the first inning, capturing a lead that they would never relinquish, even though the Seminoles tried to take from them in the ninth inning.

The Dolphins’ pitchers decided to take control of the game from the beginning and they did just that as they went on the record 15 strikeouts and only allowed four hits from the explosive Seminole offense throughout the whole game.

Redshirt junior pitcher Jeff Tanner got his first win of the season after striking out a career high eight batters in five innings of work. Tanner missed last season after having season-ending Tommy John’s surgery.

Tanner’s performance on the mound allowed the offense to build upon their early lead and it also kept much of the excitement that follows the Seminoles’ offense at bay. However, the Seminoles weren’t going to go quietly and it was in the latter innings that they started to make things interesting.

Senior pitcher Justin Russell came on in relief in the eighth inning with the Dolphins leading 5-2 and was able to strikeout the side as he put down the Seminoles’ best hitters in order. It was in the ninth inning that sparks started to fly.

Russell came back on to try and close out the Seminoles but loaded the bases instead after allowing a third run for the Seminoles. The threat was too great for head coach Tim Montez and he brought in sophomore closer Nathan Disch.

“My mindset was loose from the time I started warming up,” Disch said. “I was confident in all of my pitches and used what I was comfortable with.”

His confidence showed while he was on the mound as we went on to strikeout the final two batters and end the Seminoles’ threat.

“Anytime you can beat one of the big teams, it’s not only big for our program, but for the university as a whole and for the city of Jacksonville,” Montez said.

Senior outfielder Cameron Gibson led all Dolphin hitters with two hits on three at bats and added two runs of his own throughout the contest.

Then Dolphins hope to maintain this high level of play throughout the season and hope to move into postseason play for the first time since 2011.