Filed under Archive, Basketball, Sports

Dolphins Up and Down Season Continues

JU shines against NKU, but falls flat against Lipscomb.

On Thursday, Feb. 19, the Dolphins recorded their eighth win of the season as they beat Northern Kentucky 87-75 at Swisher Gymnasium. The win made the Dolphins 3-8 in conference play and 8-19 overall.

Junior guard Kori Babineaux had a career high 27 points and 10 assists on his way to earning “Newcomer of the Week” for the second time this season. Sophomore Marcel White also contributed to the win with 10 points and five rebounds off the bench.

The first half started off rocky, but the Dolphins took off in the second half with offensive rebounds from freshman forward Antwon Clayton, non-stop three pointers from junior guard Marcellous Bell and the great defense of sophomore forward Marcel White.

“Basketball is a game of runs,”Babineaux said. “That’s how we want to play basketball.”

The Dolphins seemed to have gotten a little too comfortable as Northern Kentucky (5-6 A-Sun, 11-15 overall) regained the lead to 47-45 seven minutes into the second half.

The Norse couldn’t stop the Dolphins from fighting hard; however, the Dolphins pulled out back-to-back conference wins for the first time this season.

The Dolphins brought that momentum to their game on Saturday Feb. 21 at Swisher Gymnasium against Lipscomb.

The Dolphins fell a little short in having a third straight win, leaving their home gym with the score 87-83 on the scoreboard.

The Dolphins went into halftime with the lead and had hoped to keep the momentum in the second half. Babineaux and Bell both made big contributions against Lipscomb (6-6 A-Sun, 12-15 overall) by scoring 25 points and 18 points respectively. White added 17 points of his own.

Both Lipscomb and Jacksonville continued to fight for the lead in the second half but a 9-1 run from Lipscomb in the closing minutes ended any chance the Dolphins had at winning.

“You are not going to win many games when you give up 87 points,” said Tony Jasick, head coach. “We did a poor job on their screening action with a lack of awareness which allowed them to get into a rhythm.”

The Jacksonville Dolphins will continue their conference journey on Wednesday Feb. 25 when they travel to Stetson.