Filed under Archive, Basketball, Sports

Back-to-Back Wins for the Dolphins

JU's tenacity sparks two second half comeback victories

The JU Dolphins traveled to Northern Kentucky on Thursday, Feb. 19 and came back with a 76-62 win in a back and forth contest that saw five ties and seven lead changes.

Junior forward Briona Brown led the Dolphins with 22 points and freshman guard Brandi Blue had a career high of 17 points, all of which were scored in the second half.

It seemed as though the Norse was going to run away with the contest in the first half, but the Dolphins remained focused on the task at hand and fought to remain in the game.

With consistent play from behind the arc and inside the paint from Brown, the Dolphins caught up with Northern Kentucky. The Norse ended the half with a two point lead, but the Dolphins were showing they had the hot hand.

The second half proved to be a dog fight for the lead.  An 11-4 run in the final two minutes from the Dolphins allowed Jacksonville to leave Kentucky with a victory.

The Dolphins continued their road trip to Nashville, Tenn. where they captured back-to-back wins by beating Lipscomb 75-63 behind another late rally.

Sophomore guard Sherranda Reddick and Brown both made big contributions for the Dolphins with 23 and 25 points respectively.

This was a big game for Brown, marking a career high in points and added seven rebounds, four assists, a block and a steal.

The Dolphins trailed 35-33 heading into halftime, but showed their resilient nature in the second half.

Lipscomb continued  with the lead until Reddick made two three point plays in a row to put the Dolphins in the lead, a lead that they would not relinquish for the remainder of the game.

“I’m just really excited for the girls,” said Yolette McPhee-McCuin, head coach. “We’ve been through so much this season, and when you have a young team like we do, you just wait for the light to turn on. As a staff, we were hoping it would turn on in February and it has.”

The Jacksonville Dolphins hope that light remains on as they return home Wednesday, Feb. 25 to face off with Stetson for Senior Night and their final home game.