Filed under Archive, Basketball, Sports

Dolphins Finish On an Upswing

Win Against Kennesaw State Snaps a Five Game Losing Skid

USC Upstate 66   JU 64

The Dolphins fell to the Spartans 66-64 in the final seconds at the Hodge Center in an exciting game that left the crowd short of their fingernails.

With the game tied at 64-64 and 25 seconds remaining in the game, senior forward Shelby Hicks grabbed an off target shot from senior guard Sharmayne Edwards and scored as the time expired and giving the Spartans the win. It was a close game start to finish, but unfortunately the Dolphins’ valiant effort fell short.

“We got better tonight,” said Dolphins’ head coach Yolett McPhee-McCuin. “The record doesn’t show it, but we’ve been getting better every game.”

The Dolphins (6-13, 1-5 A-Sun) found themselves down 28-25 at halftime, but the real excitement came in the second half.

The Spartans (10-11, 2-4 A-Sun) led for most of the second half, but the Dolphins remained on their heels after the two teams traded baskets throughout the half. Redshirt junior guard Loliya Briggs broke the trend for the Dolphins when she scored with 2:27 remaining in the game. The basket made the score 62-60 and gave the Dolphins their first lead of the game.

Unfortunately a minute later, the Spartans’ junior center Brittany Starling tied the game at 62-62 and then gave the Spartans the lead 64-62 with only 35 seconds remaining in the contest. Freshman guard Brandi Buie was able to tie the game up at 64-64, but fate was on the side of the Spartans as they pulled out the heroics as time expired.

Junior forward Briona Brown had a great game for the Dolphins, scoring a team high 15 points. Sophomore forward Kimberly Dawkins and freshman Kayla Gordon both finished the game with nine points.

JU 78   Kennesaw State 64

The Dolphins were able to bounce back in dominant fashion as they snapped a five game losing skid with a 78-64 win over the Owls in the KSU Convocation Center.

The first half started off pretty rough for the Dolphins as the Owls opened the game on an 8-1 run. The Dolphins answered with a 9-2 run of their own which tied the game at 10 points at piece.

The Dolphins (7-13, 2-5 A-Sun) were able to bottle their momentum and go into the locker room with a 35-25 halftime lead.

The Owls (14-8, 3-4 A-Sun) opened the second half by putting hard pressure on the Dolphins in efforts to mount a comeback. The Dolphins denied any chance of a comeback by keeping their lead at 10 points throughout the second half. The lead proved to be enough as a cushion for the Dolphins.

“After the Upstate game, I gave them a challenge, a decision to make,” said Dolphins’ head coach Yolett McPhee-McCuin. “We were either going to bounce back as a team or still feel sorry for ourselves. We made the choice to come out tonight, play as a team and defend.”

The Dolphins had five players finish in double figures in scoring. Freshman forward Kayla Gordon led all Dolphin scorers with 18 points. Junior forward Briona Brown had 13 points while sophomores Kimberly Dawkins and Sherranda Reddick added 10 points and 13 points respectively. Freshman guard Brandi Buie made her first collegiate start and recorded 16 points.

The Dolphins return to action Feb. 7 against their cross-town rivals the Ospreys at UNF.