Filed under Archive, Basketball, Sports

Two Tough Losses

Poor shooting plagues the Dolphins

Back to Article
Back to Article

Two Tough Losses

Pasley

Pasley

Pasley

USC Upstate 78   JU 65

The Dolphins opened the game with an extremely cold shooting performance and continued that cold spell into the second half as the Spartans were able to take down the Dolphins 78-65 at the Jacksonville Veteran’s Memorial Arena.

The Dolphins missed 11 of their first 14 shots, allowing the Spartans to build a double digit lead in the first half that got to be a many as 14 points with 5:29 to play in the opening half. Junior guards Kori Babineaux and Andris Misters scored nine points in the next two minutes cutting the Spartans’ lead to 39-34.

The Dolphins (7-16, 1-5 A-Sun) were unable to maintain that momentum and fell behind 44-34 at halftime.

JU came out in the second half just as cold as the first, missing five of their first seven shots which allowed the Spartans and senior guard Ty Greene to extend their double digit lead early in the second half. Greene connected on five 3-point shots, 4 of which came in the second half.

The Spartans (15-7, 3-3 A-Sun) had their speed on display the whole game, showing why they are one of the favorites to win the A-Sun conference championship.

“Give credit to Upstate,” said JU head coach Tony Jasick. “They had us on our heels defensively and dictated the pace. We weren’t able to recover from it.”

The Dolphins connected on only 44.8 percent of their 58 shots as they fell to 7-16 on the season and just 1-5 in A-Sun conference play.

Babineaux led the Dolphins in scoring with 22 points while Misters and junior forward Josh Adeyeye added 10 points each.

Kennesaw State 51   JU 50

The Dolphins had hoped to break out of their cold shooting spell against the Owls from Kennesaw State, but instead continued that spell and fell to the Owls 51-50 in the closing seconds of the game at Jacksonville Veteran’s Memorial Arena.

It had seemed that the Dolphins had corrected their shooting woes early in the game as they opened with an 11-2 first half lead which was aided by a stingy defense. It would be that stingy defense that would give the Dolphins an opportunity to win the game despite another poor shooting performance.

The cold spell that has plagued the Dolphins all year would find them once more as they closed out the first half on just 26.5 percent shooting and behind the Owls 23-20.

The Dolphins (7-17, 1-6 A-Sun) continued with their poor shooting performance in the second half as they only connected on one of their last 16 shots in the final 12 minutes of play.

The Dolphins did however, find themselves with a chance to win the game when junior guard Marcellous Bell connected on a three point shot with 30.8 seconds to play. Bell was fouled on the play which allowed him to convert the free throw and the four point play that brought the Dolphins to within one point of the Owls.

On the inbound pass, the Owls (7-16, 2-5 A-Sun) were able to break the Dolphins’ press and found freshman guard Damien Wilson all alone for an apparent dunk. Dolphins’ freshman forward Antwon Clayton shocked the entire arena as he chased down Wilson from half court and converted his fourth block of the game, which was a career high for Clayton.

The Dolphins weren’t able to convert the opportunity into points as junior forward Josh Adeyeye missed with eight seconds remaining. The closing seconds included a missed layup from the Dolphins and a mad dash for a loose ball that ended with a desperation shot that hit the side of the backboard as time expired.

Adeyeye led the Dolphins with 12 points and Bell added 11 points of his own in the loss. Adeyeye had 16 rebounds which was the most from any Dolphin since Marcus Allen had 18 in 2007.

The Dolphins will try to heal their wounds as they prepare to face cross-town rivals the Ospreys on Feb. 6 at UNF.