Filed under Archive, Baseball, Sports

The Hometown Hero

Sherranda Reddick has Lofty Goals Overseas

In the collegiate sports world, it can be difficult to find a hometown hero who decided to stay home and play for the home team. Sherranda Reddick is an exception to this rule.

Reddick is a sophomore guard for the Lady Dolphins who decided it was best to stay in town and contribute her skill set for the home team, but it was a decision that very well could not have happened if it wasn’t for the appeal of Jacksonville University.

After an incredible playing career at Ribault High School in Jacksonville, which included being named the Florida Times-Union Player of the Year as a sophomore and a state championship appearance as a junior, Reddick was highly recruited by former JU head coach, Jill Dunn. Unfortunately for Reddick, Dunn was fired the season before Reddick was set to become a Lady Dolphin, making the decision of where to play college ball a tough one for her.

“I came to JU, basically on a leap of faith,” Reddick said. “But it ended up being one of the best decisions of my life.”

The JU community was pleased that Reddick decided to become a Lady Dolphin and her presence was felt immediately.

Reddick scored 26 points in her collegiate debut and hasn’t looked back since. She appeared in 30 games in her freshman season, averaging 12.5 points per game and added an average of four rebounds and two steals per game. She earned Atlantic Sun “Newcomer of the Week” honors twice during her freshman season and her performance throughout her rookie season at JU earned her a spot on the Atlantic Sun “All-Freshmen” team.

Reddick has refused to slow down which is evident by her play this year. Reddick has averaged 12 points per game, but has increased her role as a young leader on this Lady Dolphins squad by keeping the team focused on the task at hand.

“Each week when we face a new opponent, that’s our goal for that week,” Reddick said.

Although her performance on the court thus far is noteworthy, she’s not done and won’t be done until she reaches her lofty aspirations.

“Eventually, I want to be named an All-American,” Reddick said. “And I want to play overseas.”