Filed under Sports

Weekend Sweep

Volleyball Wins Two in A-Sun Conference

On Friday, Oct. 17, the Jacksonville University Dolphins defeated the Spartans of USC Upstate at home in the Swisher Gymnasium, claiming all three sets as theirs. The win makes the Dolphins 10-10 on the season, while the Spartans are 9-10.

Freshman Olga Nushtayeva was the highlight on the defensive side, racking up five kills and two aces while Junior Sammie Strausbaugh led the offensive end with 17 kills.

The Dolphins showed no mercy in the first set providing kills in back to back points which ended the set with a score of 25-16.

The second and third sets also ended in victorious fashion for the Dolphins, leading both sets in their entirety and finishing with final scores of 25-15 in the second set and 25-20 in the third set.

The Dolphins continued their winning streak the following day by defeating the Kennesaw State Owls with a score of 3-0.

The first set, which started off a little shaky for the Dolphins, ended with a 25-19 JU win. The second and third sets proved to be a test for the Dolphins as well, but the Dolphins were able to pull out both sets with scores of 29-27 and 25-20, respectively.

Strausbaugh once again proved to be unstoppable, leading the offense with a game high 20 kills. Junior Ana Gabriella Nieto-Gomez added seven kills and five blocks while Nushtayeva added six kills of her own.

The second win moved the Dolphins to 11-10 on the season and 3-4 in conference play.