Bortles Still Learning, Fans Still Suffering

Bortles Throws Two Costly Interceptions in Loss to Miami Dolphins

Jaguars’ fans knew that the growing pains of a rookie quarterback would be tough to watch, but they didn’t know that it was going to be this tough. Jaguars’ fans were not pleased as they watched the home team from Jacksonville lose to the Miami Dolphins 24-13 on Oct. 26.

Just a week after the team’s first win of the season against the Cleveland Browns on Oct. 19, in which rookie quarterback Blake Bortles threw three interceptions, the Jaguars and their fans had a sense of hope heading into their week eight matchup with the Miami Dolphins.

Instead, the Jags’ fans inside Everbank Field were treated to two more interceptions from the rookie and a disappointing loss at the hands of their in-state rival. Both interceptions were returned for touchdowns which spotted the Dolphins 14 points. Bortles added a fumble to his list of turnovers which led to a Miami Dolphins field goal.

Although Jags’ fans knew that Bortles was going to make mistakes, they didn’t realize that the mistakes would be a constant occurrence on Sundays. Rookies are expected to make mistakes, but when there isn’t a learning process that follows, the fans start to get a bit restless.

The positive points that Jags’ fans can take away from the loss to the Dolphins only highlight the mistakes made by the rookie quarterback.

The defense played lights out in the first half, holding the Dolphins’ offense to minimal yards. Dolphins quarterback Ryan Tannehill was forced into dealing with a Jaguars defense that was stout up front and tight in the secondary.

Denard Robinson became the first Jaguar to have back-to-back 100 yard rushing games since Maurice Jones-Drew accomplished the feat in 2011, another bright spot that was overshadowed by Bortles’ mistakes and highlighted those mistakes that much more.

It’s always tough to lose, but to lose in the manner that the Jags did against the Dolphins is maddening. Jags’ fans are hoping that Bortles is able to learn from his mistakes and keep them to a minimum as they hit the road for their week nine matchup with the Bengals in Cincinnati.