Filed under Archive, Golf, Sports

Men’s Golf Wins

First Victory Since 2010

Jacksonville University’s men’s golf team came home from Morganton, N.C. with the first victory the program has had since 2010. The Dolphins claimed a 14 shot victory in the 10-team event that was held at Mimosa Hills Country Club. The men posted rounds of 278, 2 under par, and 276, 4 under par.

The event was only the second of the season thus far and the men have finished in the top two in both tournaments.

Led by junior Franck Medale, the Dolphins posted a 554 team score, which is the second lowest score in school history. The record score of 553 was set just earlier this year, proving that this current team is able to play with the best of competitors.

Medale is the newcomer on the team, but that hasn’t slowed him from playing at an elite level. He opened with a school record 63, 7 under par, and then followed it with a 66, 4 under par. His combined total of 129 is a school record for 36 holes.

Medale’s performance was enough for him to take the individual medalist award at the event, given to whomever has the lowest individual score in the tournament. His individual medalist honor is the first by a JU golfer since Matt Kleinrock brought one home in 2007.

Freshman Raul Pereda brought home his first career top 10, placing tenth in the event with an even par score of 140. Pereda had first and second round scores of 72 and 68 respectively.

Senior Brett McKinnon placed 15th with rounds of 68 and 74.

The Dolphins return to action for their third tournament of the year when they head to Vero Beach, Fla. for the Quail Valley Invitational Oct. 27-28. The tournament takes place at the Quail Valley Golf Course.