Filed under Football, Sports

Dolphins Continue to Roll

JU Football Racks Up 651 Yards at Limestone College

The Dolphins continued their road stretch of the schedule Saturday, when they traveled north to Gaffney, S.C. to play Limestone College and, like the previous seven weeks, they walked away victorious, beating the Saints 61-10.

Redshirt junior Kade Bell and the offense continued their explosive performance from the previous week by racking up 651 yards of total offense and 61 points, which was the most the Dolphins have scored since 2013 and is tied for the fourth most in school history.

Bell and the offense started the onslaught just 52 seconds into the first half when Bell connected with junior running back Frantz Caudio for a 35-yard touchdown pass. The play capped a three-play, 79-yard drive to open the game and that was just the start of the scoring for the Dolphins.

Bell threw another touchdown pass to junior running back Orlando Thomas for a 58-yard score and then followed it with another touchdown pass to junior wide receiver Andy Jones for an 11-yard score, making it 21-0 at the end of the first quarter.

The Dolphins didn’t allow the first quarter lead go to their heads, instead they kept the pressure on the Saints in the second quarter.

Caudio added another touchdown, this time on the ground from nine yards out and sophomore Ulysses Bryant added another touchdown on the ground from three yards out.

The defense wasn’t going to be left out of the scoring. In the second quarter, junior rover Andrew Hooks intercepted a pass from Limestone quarterback Jonathon Clark and returned it 95 yards for a touchdown. The return was the second longest in school history. The interception marked a total of 17 by the Dolphins for the year, which is a school record.

Hooks’ touchdown return made the halftime score 42-7, a lead that the Dolphins would never relinquish.

“I’m a little tired,” Hooks said. “But, it’s a great way to break the record.”

The Dolphins added another interception in the second half which brings the season total to 18, which leads the nation.

The second half allowed a lot of the starters to get some much needed and deserved rest from contact. Caudio added his third touchdown of the game in the second half and redshirt freshman backup quarterback, Rylan Wells, got his first score of his career when he scampered 31 yards into the end zone.

“We played well and executed at a high level,” said Kerwin bell, head coach. “It was a big win. They have some athletes and are going to be good.”

The Dolphins are now 7-1 on the season and 5-0 in Pioneer Football League play. They get back to league play Nov. 1 against Marist, which is the start of a three game push for the PFL title.