Filed under Football, Sports

Dolphins Continue to Win

Kade Bell Leads Team to a 45-26 Win at Morehead State

The JU Dolphins’ football team has found the right combination of a stifling defense and a surging offense to continue their winning ways, beating the Morehead State Eagles 45-26 in Morehead, KY, and sits atop of the Pioneer Football League rankings.

Led by redshirt junior quarterback Kade Bell, who threw for six touchdown passes, the Dolphins’ offense put together a phenomenal performance.

Bell’s first touchdown pass came in midway through the second quarter, when he was able to find senior wide receiver Andrew Robustelli for a seven yard score. The score capped off a 13-play, 73-yard drive.

Once Bell got his first taste of scoring, he was not going to let up. He led the Dolphins to another scoring drive minutes after the first score, when he found senior wide receiver D’Andre Randle for a 46-yard score and then found senior wide receiver Dorian Guy for a four-yard score with just five seconds left in the half, giving the Dolphins a 21-6 halftime lead.

The message in the locker room at halftime must have been to continue the onslaught, because Bell and the Dolphins charged down the field after stopping Eagles on their first drive of the second half.

Bell found junior wide receiver Andy Jones for a 20-yard score and the first score of the second half for the Dolphins. He found Jones once more for a 63-yard touchdown pass.

Bell capped off his performance with a 50-yard touchdown pass to redshirt junior scat back Orlando Thomas for his sixth touchdown pass of the day. Bell finished the day completing 26 of 42 passes with six touchdown passes and one interception.

“He’s a little gamer,” said Kerwin Bell, Dolphins’ head coach. “I have a lot of faith he’s going to make the right decisions.”

Anytime someone accounts for six scores in a football game they are going to take center stage, but the defense deserves a lot of credit as well. They continued their premier play that has been on display all season.

Junior cornerback Dallas Jackson had two interceptions and redshirt sophomore cornerback Armani Sampson had an interception of his own as well. Junior linebacker D.J. Howard led the defense in tackles with 14.

“Give credit to the defense,” coach Bell said. “They played great in the first half and kept us in it early.”

The 5-1 Dolphins hope to continue their winning ways this Saturday when they take their PFL number one ranking to DeLand, Fla. where they will battle with the Hatters of Stetson. Kickoff is at 6 p.m.