Filed under Sports, Volleyball

Road Woes Continue

Dolphins Fall Short of Victory in 3-2, 3-1 Losses

The 9-7 Jacksonville Dolphins, who began their road trip on Friday Oct. 3 against the 9-6 Hatters of Stetson University, fell short of the victory by one set, ending the match in a 3-2 loss. The Dolphins wrapped up their weekend road trip losing for a second straight night on Saturday Oct. 4, in disappointing fashion 3-1.

Junior Emily Laskelle provided a season high in kills Friday night with 19, and she added another 15 on Saturday night.

Junior Sammie Strausbaugh had 18 kills in both matches and led the Dolphins in digs Saturday night with 16. Strausbaugh’s performance Saturday night was her eleventh double-double of the season.

Freshman Nicole Pritchard provided a career best in digs Friday night with 25 and added another 17 digs Saturday night against the Eagles of FGCU. Sophomore Kelly Koop added 24 digs Friday night against the Hatters, which was a career best for Koop.

Although the Dolphins lost Friday night, they kept the match close. In the first set, the Dolphins had 11 kills, but allowed Stetson to take the set 25-23. The second and third sets brought a better fate for the Dolphins who were down by a great number of points but used Strausbaugh’s performance to help the team with a major comeback winning both sets 25-23 and 26-24 respectively. The Dolphins weren’t able to keep the momentum in their favor, losing the fourth and fifth sets 25-20 and 15-12 respectively.

Saturday’s match at Florida Gulf Coast proved to be another tough test as the Dolphins were upset by the Eagles. The Dolphins seemed to have overcome their road woes early, opening with a big lead in the first set and winning the set 25-15. The second, third and fourth sets painted a different picture as a great battle with FGCU came short and the Eagles won all three sets, 25-16, 26-24, and 25-23 in that order.

This match proved to be a big upset for the Jacksonville Dolphins, considering the fact that the Dolphins were riding a three game winning streak against the Eagles.

The Dolphins hope to quickly heal their wounds and road woes, as they hit the road again against the preseason Atlantic-Sun favorites, the Lady Bisons of Lipscomb. This is a rematch of the 2013 Atlantic-Sun championship and could be a preview of a future match between the two teams in the Atlantic-Sun conference tournament at the end of the season.