Florida Laws for Students

An Overview of State and Campus Regulations

For students arriving from other states and nations, adjusting to life at Jacksonville University also means adjusting to the state and local laws that surround the campus. From traffic regulations to video to weapons, here are a few laws students new to the sunshine state should be aware of.

Traffic Laws

Texting

Florida joined a nationwide movement October 2013 to ban texting while driving. This is including, but not limited to, hand held communication methods such as texting, e-mailing, and instant messaging. Texting and driving is a secondary infraction in the state, meaning that drivers can be cited for texting when pulled over for a primary road violation such as speeding. 

Change Lanes for emergency vehicles

Florida requires drivers to move over for emergency vehicles, as well as sanitation and utility vehicles, with their lights or sirens on, according to the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles. On roadways with multiple lanes of travel, drivers are required to vacate the lane closest to the response vehicle. If it is not safe to do so, drivers must slow to a speed of 20 miles per hour or below. On two-lane roadways, drivers are required to slow to a speed that is 20 miles per hour less than the posted speed limit. However, if the speed limit is 20 miles per hour, vehicles must slow to a maximum of five.

Video Recording

Though it is now common to record videos at the touch of a button, Florida requires that all parties must agree to the recording of any video on private property. This includes filming on the premises of privately owned businesses such as retail stores. But consent from police officers in uniform is not required. Photography and video can be taken legally in any public space, such as on a street or in a public park.

Minimum Wage

For those planning to be employed in Florida, it is important to remember that the minimum wages of most states are different. The current Florida minimum wage as of January 1, 2014 is $7.93 an hour. Tipped employees, such as bartenders, servers, and valets, have a minimum of $4.91 an hour if they earn more than $30 in tips in a month.

Along with state regulations, Jacksonville University residential life also has policies for students. A full list of policies can be found on the University website under residential life policies.

Lockouts

If a student is locked out of his or her on-campus residence, he or she can check out a temporary key from residential life free of charge for 24 hours. Failure to return the key within 24 hours results in a $55 charge. After the residential life office closes at 5 p.m., students have the option to call an RA to unlock their room as long as they have their student IDs on them. Students are allotted three free lockouts, after which there will be a $15 charge for each consecutive lock-out.

Alcohol

JU is a wet campus, with that said all federal and local laws about alcohol consumption apply.  No one under the age of 21 is allowed to consume alcohol or be in the presence of of-age students consuming alcohol within campus housing. If a student is over 21, there are a few regulations for storing alcohol on campus. Students cannot exceed preset package limits. Each resident cannot have more than 72 fluid ounces of beer or a 6-Pack, 750 milliliters of wine, and 750 milliliters of liquor in their possession.

Medical Amnesty

In the event of an alcohol or drug related emergency, students can seek assistance without fear of disciplinary action. Individuals who call on behalf of other students’ physical well being will not face possession charges from the university as long as they agree to take an educational expectations course.